Board logo

Wiper motor options
AndyW - 8/2/14 at 07:08 PM

Hi

Has anyone used anything other than a classic mini wiper motor? Seems very old and unreliable option to buy a 20+year old rusted up motor (cheap of course! I have seen them new) to bolt to a new car. Are there any more modern options?

If not then old mini it is just wondered

Ta

Andy

whitestu - 8/2/14 at 09:13 PM

I've got Mini wipers and they seem pretty reliable. They aren't the most powerful, but work well enough and are simple to adapt to different installations.

Stu

AndyW - 8/2/14 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
I've got Mini wipers and they seem pretty reliable. They aren't the most powerful, but work well enough and are simple to adapt to different installations.

Stu

Thanks Stu,

was curious as to how people got on with them.

Talon Motorsport - 8/2/14 at 09:51 PM

If I where you I'd look at Ford Ka wipers as they have a complete bolt on sub frame that holds every thing in place.

rusty nuts - 9/2/14 at 08:49 AM

The Mini wiper system is well tested and reliable. Most later type wiper linkages are mounted on a cradle and use rods with ball joints ,bulky and not too easy to modify whereas the Mini system can have the motor remotely mounted and uses a cable running through a conduit to the wheel boxes which can also alter how the wipers park.

Dusty - 9/2/14 at 11:09 AM

The used 2 speed mini motor and cable/boxes I fitted 15 years ago have never given a moments problem. They came from a mini breakers so had already done 10+ years of work. Thinking back I seem to remember putting new brushes in before fitting them and giving the wheels a smear of fresh grease.