Board logo

Car covered in damp in garage
madteg - 17/12/14 at 08:18 PM

How can I stop it, every night I go in its covered in damp. Don't know if should leave a heater in there or just cover the car, come on lets have some ideas.

JAMSTER - 17/12/14 at 08:26 PM

maybe some thing like this i have seen them for cars

Vac Bag Dry Motorcycle Vacuum Seasonal Storage System Jumbo Cover 3.6m x 2.4m

rusty nuts - 17/12/14 at 08:27 PM

Have you got any insulation ? Leaks? Or ventalation? A dehumidifier may help. One of my neighbours has an inflatable garage that keeps his car dry and mould free. Had problems with mould when my garage roof was replaced a couple of years ago, cured it by fitting a couple of vents in the door, no problems since

mark chandler - 17/12/14 at 10:07 PM

Sounds like lack of ventilation to me, get the air moving around

Nickp - 17/12/14 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

+1 you need to get the air moving. I built a block garage with a tin roof (insulated) but envisaged damp problems so installed an extractor fan. It's on a timer and comes on for 15mins every 2hrs and it's nice and dry in there

whitestu - 17/12/14 at 10:14 PM

quote:

+1
Leave the door open!

madteg - 17/12/14 at 10:25 PM

Thanks will sort some ventilation out at the weekend.

dhutch - 18/12/14 at 12:55 PM

From whats said, unless you have a lot of water coming in, I think its ventilation that's the issue.

Even if you have a lot of water coming in, unless you can stop it, the solution is still ventilation. More the better really.

You wont solve that with a dehumidifier or heater unless you are prepared to hose a hell of a lot of electric into it, and you shouldnt be!

Daniel

[Edited on 18/12/2014 by dhutch]

Mr Whippy - 18/12/14 at 01:04 PM

yip lack of airflow, get some air brick vents and fit them to the side that gets the most wind and the opposite side

I have a carport on the side of my garage and due the obviously great flow of air through it almost mummifies any car put there