Board logo

Chassis fixings for headlamp brackets?
Mike Wood - 13/7/24 at 06:36 PM

Hi

Does anyone have any pictures/information on how headlamp brackets and the spare wheel/rear number plate brackets were fitted to Westfields please as I have picked up some brackets for my Locost project. I am guessing some sort of tube clamp perhaps a saddle clamp using threaded inserts into the chassis tube for saddle retaining bolts or perhaps welded round clamps - split tube with protruding tab and a retaining bolt to clamp? - direct to the square steel chassis tubes?

See attached pics - headland brackets (chrome) like these for clamshell wings or for cycle wings (in black part numbers stamped on 29512 and 29513). I understand the lower mounts for the headlamp brackets bolt on to an upper suspension bolt using a spacer and an extra length bolt.

I am not keen on drilling into the top main chassis member close to a suspension unit to use a couple of Rivnut (and a full tunbe insert would be stronger) so am thinking welding a side braced L shaped bracket to to the vertical face of the inside of the upper chassis tube to provide a flat mounting bracket for a tube saddle clamp.

Thanks
Mike
[img]https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/2864171299486587405/9197803008150382016[/img]

[Edited on 13/7/24 by Mike Wood]