Board logo

Welding the Floor
ghvh - 25/11/02 at 05:37 PM

In the book it shows a 1 piece floor does this not make a water trap in the gearbox/prop tunnel. would it not be better to do it in 2 piece and leave the prop tunnel open?

theconrodkid - 25/11/02 at 07:31 PM

sounds like a good idea doing it in 2 peices,mine is done in 1 and you have to take the axle out to remove the prop
ps where in west london are you?

ghvh - 25/11/02 at 07:38 PM

Heathrow, I can see the planes from the work shop

Deckman001 - 25/11/02 at 07:51 PM

Would't the floor being in two pieces make it weaker ? And more liable to flex and bend ?

chrisg - 25/11/02 at 07:54 PM

I think it should be ok, lots of people use ali floors, riveted on with no ill effects.

Cheers

Chris

Deckman001 - 25/11/02 at 07:57 PM

Good point !!

James - 27/11/02 at 01:07 PM

A guy at college has just taken delivery of a Luego chassis.
I noticed straight away that they use a two piece floor. The benefit I noticed straight away was that it means you can easily cut the two pieces on a guillotine!

Cheers,

James

elewayne - 27/3/03 at 11:41 PM

If you use an ali floor pan do you rivit it directly to the bottom? Or does it require some folding to rivit to the insides?

James - 28/3/03 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by elewayne
If you use an ali floor pan do you rivit it directly to the bottom? Or does it require some folding to rivit to the insides?

I'd have thought it's fine to do it to the bottom/underside of the rails.

The only disadvantage is that if you ground out on something then you'll rip the rivet heads off! :-(

Did mine last night- though mine are steel and I'm planning to weld them. Was all going well untill I realised I'd put the swages on the wrong side of one of them! Doh! :-(
Oh well, will only take 2 hours to re-do! :-(

James

[Edited on 28/3/03 by James]

Mark Allanson - 28/3/03 at 08:42 PM

Mine is in two parts, I am going to make a 3mm steel cover for the tranny tunnel, bolted in with countersunk allen bolts.

I have 13mm RHS skid tubes welded front to rear at opposite angles to stop the floor drumming with vibration from the engine (differing shape will prevent the floor reaching a harmonic frequency). It will also help if (when) I ground the car, and if I flatten one, it is easily ground off and replaced.

Mark Allanson - 29/3/03 at 01:21 PM

There, I knew I had an image somewhere Rescued attachment DCP_0427sml.jpg
Rescued attachment DCP_0427sml.jpg