Board logo

Bending fibreglass - Possible?
Howlor - 2/1/06 at 05:30 PM

Hi all,

I may be wrong here but I recall someone mentioning to me that you manipulate the fibreglass by heating it up with a heat gun. Does this work? I have thrown all of my spare bits to try it!

Thanks,
Steve

k33ts - 2/1/06 at 05:33 PM

it does work but if your not carefull it bubbles if it gets to hot.

Howlor - 2/1/06 at 05:39 PM

I suppose the only option is then to bubble the rest of the car!

k33ts - 2/1/06 at 05:42 PM

i suppose if you want something that bit different.

zxrlocost - 2/1/06 at 05:53 PM

I suppose I wouldnt bother

k33ts - 2/1/06 at 06:06 PM

i suppose your right

Hugh Paterson - 2/1/06 at 06:07 PM

Mmmmm it tends to go woof with a bit to much heat
Shug

RichieC - 2/1/06 at 06:38 PM

Howlor, which part is it your looking to bend?

I remember Marc spoke about it in a thread previously when discussing the nose-side panel fit

Rich

crbrlfrost - 2/1/06 at 06:44 PM

It depends on the resin used. Polyester based resins are a thermoplastic, and will soften and bend with heat applied up to an extent. To much heat will result in the aforementioned blistering and destroying of the resins properties. If epoxy is used, it is a thermoset resin, and will continue to harden with the application of heat (post cure if you will) until its max temperature is reached and then it will melt (not in a good pliable way). Cheers!

Howlor - 2/1/06 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
Howlor, which part is it your looking to bend?

I remember Marc spoke about it in a thread previously when discussing the nose-side panel fit

Rich

I am looking to bend the side panel where it meets the rear panel. The radii are not the same on each panel so wondered if I could just tweak them a little to get a better match. Also looking to sort out the side panel fit to the nose cone underneath.

Thanks,
Steve

RichieC - 2/1/06 at 08:52 PM

This is the thread I was thinking of.

Do you have any pics of what it is you are trying to do, I note a few people have mentioned fitting the nose to the sides

Rgds

Rich

Triton - 2/1/06 at 10:39 PM

Depends what you are after doing, but it is possible to alter the shape. Clamp it where/how you want it then something like a painters oven with a bit of warmth rather than direct heat......it does work as ong as you don't go mad.