Board logo

Windscreen Fabrication
MustangSix - 27/4/03 at 01:51 AM

Who among you have actually done this? My car is 4" wider than book and I guess I'll have to do this myself.

I understand the method for bending the top portion, but how do you bend the lower inverse curve?

Also, what do you use to seal between scuttle and the windscreen? Is there a commonly availble rubber extrusion?

Peteff - 27/4/03 at 08:30 AM

We made one for a standard scuttle but never used it. Too much hassle sorting glass. Our idea was to leave the bottom flat and use a piece of ally profiled to fill the gap to avoid complicating it. You could use ordinary "U" channel on the ally to fill any minor gaps.

yours, Pete.

chrisg - 27/4/03 at 11:23 AM

Don't get me started!!

EVENTUALLY I did the same as Pete i.e flat accross the bottom with an ally infill piece. The curved bit at the bottom really caused me problems as a stress point. I had FIVE (count'em) crack from the same point, bottom corner.

Cheers

Chris

theconrodkid - 27/4/03 at 01:03 PM

i did mine dead easy,cut a peice of plywood to the shape of the glass complete with bottom curve,make a frame round ply,take ply to glasscutters and get screen made,glue screen in place

Alan B - 27/4/03 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i did mine dead easy,cut a peice of plywood to the shape of the glass complete with bottom curve,make a frame round ply,take ply to glasscutters and get screen made,glue screen in place

Yep, agreed....I didn't know there were any other ways....

theconrodkid - 27/4/03 at 05:50 PM

well chrisg obviously found another way

chrisg - 27/4/03 at 07:14 PM

Are you deliberately misunderstnding?

I'll come round and slap your legs!!

I'll type this slowly for the hard of thinking.

WHEN THE SCREEN WAS FITTED IT BROKE.

Although the glass cutter broke three himself.

how did you think I got my screen? - described it to him over the phone and got it through the post?

jeez.

Cheers

Chris

locodude - 27/4/03 at 08:38 PM

Time of the month is it Mr G?

chrisg - 27/4/03 at 09:04 PM

You still here?

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson - 27/4/03 at 09:22 PM

You can apparently get glass cut by people like autoglass windscreens.

Complete with the vital emark.

I was gonna have my frame chromed. I got a quote and it was 200 quid!!!!!!

So, its chrome paint, or au naturel.

atb

steve

btw

the really big b and q stores do 1 and 2 mtrs lengths of various steel, alu and brass strip, rhs and channel.

[Edited on 27/4/03 by stephen_gusterson]

MustangSix - 28/4/03 at 07:32 PM

So, none of you has any good advise on how to bend the lower portion of the frame?

Northy - 28/4/03 at 07:54 PM

The pictures in the Tiger Avon book show no surround at the bottom, just the rubber strip.

flyingkiwi - 29/4/03 at 07:18 PM

Like theconrodkid said, make a plywood frame to the size of the windscreen you want, along with the curve at the bottom to follow the scuttle. Bend the top half of the ali around the plywood (help's to get ply of the same width as the ali channel!) using the method in the book, then to do the bottom curve using a smooth rubber, nylon or wood mallet. This should form the ali channel into the curve. Then just cut the ends of the channel to suit the upper section. Voila!

chris