Board logo

Oooch that hurts~~@@::~@####
ditchlewis - 27/6/06 at 07:39 PM

Ran the engine up this weekend then jumped out the car.... was only wearing shorts and now have a 3rd degree burn on my leg.. a big one

does anyone know where i can get a heat shield for the exaust can on an MK indy..

Ditch

[Edited on 27/6/06 by ditchlewis]

ReMan - 27/6/06 at 07:41 PM

I'm sure someone will tell you that if you had a proper engine, then that would be your passengers problem, not your's.
But I'm not going to.

[Edited on 27/6/06 by ReMan]

zilspeed - 27/6/06 at 08:09 PM

It's like broken wing stays - something that's going to happen to you eventually whether you like it or not.

bracey - 27/6/06 at 08:42 PM

europa spares do one and can have any name lazer cut into it ,75.00 i think

wilkingj - 27/6/06 at 08:50 PM

Inside of a washing machine drum, then bend to suit. nice bit of perforated Stainless

Or....

Just be MORE CAREFUL

Deckman001 - 27/6/06 at 08:58 PM

I did something similar as well, having worked on the car with exhaust fitted for about 6 months , when I did manage to get it running I turned it off and leant over the engine to check something, forgetting I couldn't lean on the manifold with my hand from now on !! Ouch, that hurt, it took lots of water to stop it smarting I can tell ya
I remember each time now though

Jason

Danozeman - 27/6/06 at 09:03 PM

quote:

I did something similar as well, having worked on the car with exhaust fitted for about 6 months , when I did manage to get it running I turned it off and leant over the engine to check something, forgetting I couldn't lean on the manifold with my hand from now on !! Ouch, that hurt, it took lots of water to stop it smarting I can tell ya

That sounds familiar. Luckily mine wasnt that hot.

My exhaust is the passengers problem

graememk - 27/6/06 at 09:20 PM

fire blanket from ebay £10

Hellfire - 27/6/06 at 09:23 PM

All the formidable BEC'ers have the tell tale mark on their calf or chin... Course, I don't... yet!!!

Steve

[Edited on 27-6-06 by Hellfire]

Agriv8 - 27/6/06 at 10:12 PM

burnt anckle between bottom of trousers top of trainers.

Leaning over running motor

mmm nice

emsfactory - 27/6/06 at 10:16 PM

Get a nice stainless bin from ikea and chop it up.

robertwa - 28/6/06 at 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
All the formidable BEC'ers have the tell tale mark on their calf or chin... Course, I don't... yet!!!

Steve

[Edited on 27-6-06 by Hellfire]

How do you get a burn on your chin?

zetec7 - 28/6/06 at 04:44 AM

Try here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Robin-Hood-Locost-Westfield-Tiger-Kit-Car-Exhaust-Guard_W0QQitemZ290001525687QQihZ019QQcategoryZ100921QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

ditchlewis - 28/6/06 at 07:03 AM

Ahh Not an uncommon occurance....

may thanks and that seven shield looks cool, might just get one...

limping but still smiling

Ditch

greggors84 - 28/6/06 at 10:33 AM

Manged to get a Caterham one off blatchat for £10. Looks good and never gets hot enough to burn me.

Keep an eye out on there, or maybe out a wanted post.

tractorboy - 28/6/06 at 11:55 AM

you can still get burnt though as i have proved ! i have a nice burn on the back of my calf at the moment and i have a shield fitted. i managed to step out of the car and put my leg against the end pipe after a blast . so even with a shield you still need to be careful. cheers scott

Danozeman - 28/6/06 at 07:40 PM

quote:

tell tale mark on their calf or chin...

Your chin???? HTF?

ditchlewis - 29/6/06 at 07:15 AM

mmmm

i think the cheapest solution is to take more care and let the scars be a reminder.

still limping after 5 days and the burn is still stinging like hell.

suppose i should have gone to hospital.

next time i take the car out i will take some steak and have a bbq on the exhust.

ditch

David Jenkins - 29/6/06 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
quote:

tell tale mark on their calf or chin...

Your chin???? HTF?

'Shin', perhaps?

iank - 29/6/06 at 07:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
still limping after 5 days and the burn is still stinging like hell.

suppose i should have gone to hospital.

Yes, if it was 3rd degree you should have gone to A&E.

You need to be careful since if burns get infected things can get serious quickly. Probably worth going to your GP to get it dressed properly.