Board logo

Matching grp repair on faded red!
robbydee - 15/7/06 at 09:32 PM

in the process of using fibreglass to fill the hole in bonnet left from the down draft carbs which were replaced with r1 carbs, now i have a faded red bonnet and an off white repair,

Any suggestions other than to respay the whole car?

can i get spray to match faded grp?

Mike R-F - 15/7/06 at 09:37 PM

Why not spray the whole bonnet a contrasting colour? Black maybe?

robbydee - 15/7/06 at 09:45 PM

that was gonna be my alternative..

scotty g - 16/7/06 at 07:01 AM

unfortunately you will find it next to impossible to match the repair with the rest of the bonnet, best bet is to have the whole bonnet painted.
your other option might have been to make the repair a contrasting colour like racing green and give it a bit of a bulge, rather than try to hide it, make it a feature.

viatron - 16/7/06 at 07:02 AM

Depends how good yourlocal body shop supplies store is, some have gear that will allow them to mix paint to match a sample given. Give them a call and ask the question. Only other problem might be finding a body shop that will supply celly paint if thats what you intend to use?

Mac

scotty g - 16/7/06 at 07:35 AM

Agreed, body shops can match to any colour but the problem then is that the standard gel finish and the newly sprayed areas will continue to fade but at different rates, this can look more unsightly than a contrasting colour (in extreme cases).
You can get around this by painting the whole car but then you are looking at quite a bit of money.
A friend and I once painted his Reliant Robin with white Dulux solid emulsion, it lasted all summer!

Macbeast - 16/7/06 at 08:20 AM

Fit louvred panel, maybe the ally ones from Homebase ? Paint in contrasting colour. You could fit matching one on other side. Looks sexy and helps heat dissipation too

robbydee - 16/7/06 at 10:51 PM

any ideas on a rough cost for a body show to spay just te bonnet?

what grade wet/dry needed before any primer. if i do it my self!

Mark Allanson - 17/7/06 at 11:52 AM

Rob, You know where I am!

A machine polish may bring up the old GRP (probably will!)

I am off this week, but open from 7:00am to 5:30pm monday to friday, I will thow the mop at it to see