Board logo

Cycle wings all round?
CraigJ - 24/2/07 at 08:04 PM

has any one done this? rather than having the big rear arch's?

nitram38 - 24/2/07 at 08:29 PM

Look at my archive, although mine is not a 7

macnab - 24/2/07 at 08:33 PM

I had thought on thurday of doing this on my indy! Don't know if it will look good, one of the guys on here has a cartoon avitar of a black 7 with them on and thats what got me thinking.

Jebus - 24/2/07 at 08:34 PM

i have seem a few in mags that are 7ish but never seen one on a normal style 7, its what i plan for my build when i start it.

nitram38 - 24/2/07 at 08:42 PM

You can make your own mind up if it will suit your car:

Description
Description

[img][/img]

macnab - 24/2/07 at 11:08 PM

I’ve had a look at my car, you may recall I have 295's at the back (which is what the car above also needs...) and have had to widen the standard rear wings to suit. That has pushed their weight up to whopping 3kg each! Weigh your own ones and you'll see how much that really is so cycle wings at the back make a lot off sense. I have popped a cycle wing on top of the tyre and it looks not too bad, different but not totally hideous there's the area around the top of the coilover that needs a bit of restyling but I like the fact that more of the tyre is exposed, so I think this is the route I'm going to go. Pictures will soon follow so you can make fun of my bad taste

[Edited on 24/2/07 by macnab]

jlparsons - 24/2/07 at 11:36 PM

The toniq is a 7-a-like kit car with cycle winds all round, they're still attached to the body at the back though rather than the upright. Have a google search for it. Looks a bit batman to me.

macnab - 25/2/07 at 12:18 AM

here's a pic off that car, not a bad style, Batman would certainly be proud, I wonder if it lights up at night

the torches totally spoil the car but I do like the way the wings curve in over the tyre though I'd only do that post SVA

on 25/2/07 by macnab]

[Edited on 25/2/07 by macnab] Rescued attachment toniq.jpg
Rescued attachment toniq.jpg

iank - 25/2/07 at 01:54 AM

It would be a Lotus 37 replica then

http://georgecushing.net/7Specials.html

darrens - 25/2/07 at 08:32 AM

how on earth did they get away with the brake line do this!

RazMan - 25/2/07 at 11:38 AM

I love the look of the Toniq except for the lights which look tacky imho.
The rear arches in the pic look very close to the tyres (which is obviously better for protection) but aren't they mounted from the upright rather than the bodywork? Either that ot the suspension has only got an inch of movement

nitram38 - 25/2/07 at 12:11 PM

The good thing about rear cycle wings is they can be mounted on the wishbone instead of the upright as the rears don't turn !

macnab - 25/2/07 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
It would be a Lotus 37 replica then

http://georgecushing.net/7Specials.html

that's interesting I had never see one of those before. quite like it

gottabedone - 27/2/07 at 08:33 PM

With some decent work around the rear suspension this could look very nice and clean. It may make the back of the car loot smaller - a lot of biolders have commented on the width/size of rear arches.

The purists would hate it though!

Give it a try

regards

Steve