Board logo

perspex..ing question
andy o - 26/4/07 at 03:07 PM

i'm thinking of making a wrap round aeroscreen for my fury i.e.it will taper down to the rear of the doors.is it possible to bend perspex(with a heatgun)?also whats best tool for shaving perspex?

Hammerhead - 26/4/07 at 03:11 PM

afaik you can use a heat gun but if it's too hot you mayget bubbles forming. It will also be difficult to have a considtant heat over the area you want to bend. The technique you need to use is line bending.

I'm not sure how hairy perspex is but you could always try a wood plane if you want to shave it. Then maybe flame polish the end result.

Just go for it!

CAD Monkey - 26/4/07 at 03:12 PM

from what I remember from school perspex bends really well - we had a heat bender that looked like a single bar from an electric fire, this made sure the bend was neat (small scale though).

You can get a blade for a jigsaw for perspex, I used to clamp 2 bits of hardboard either side to minimise splintering, then use a stanley blade perpendicular to the edge and scrape it along (like removing fibreglass flashlines).

HTH

Stewart

Mal - 26/4/07 at 03:14 PM

You really need to use polycarbonate sheet. It is a much tougher material than perspex and will not shatter.
I used some for the first time recently and to my surprise was told than I could fold it in a sheet metal bending press. I did so and found that it would fold similar to sheet metal, but with a tendacy for it to have some spring back.

Mal

andy o - 26/4/07 at 03:19 PM

when you say folding machine do you mean a press brake?so if i made tool with a large radius it would bend ok

andy o - 26/4/07 at 03:19 PM

when you say folding machine do you mean a press brake?so if i made tool with a large radius it would bend ok

cadebytiger - 26/4/07 at 03:24 PM

go for lexan! very easy to work with. you can just cut it with a wood blade in a jigsaw and run a file down the corners to clean it up.

i think it bends well. not sure though as i did mine straight but somone will know.

Also it is shatterproof which is nice to know!

Hammerhead - 26/4/07 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cadebytiger
go for lexan! very easy to work with. you can just cut it with a wood blade in a jigsaw and run a file down the corners to clean it up.

i think it bends well. not sure though as i did mine straight but somone will know.

Also it is shatterproof which is nice to know!

Lexan is perspex

iank - 26/4/07 at 03:30 PM

Get some of the lexan/polycarbonate with the anti scratch coating.

Good information on advantages/disadvantages of perspex vs. lexan here:

http://www.gcip.co.uk/FAB/boat_car_windows.htm

Schrodinger - 26/4/07 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead

Lexan is perspex

No Lexan is polyarbonate

DIY Si - 26/4/07 at 04:05 PM

Actaully it's a polyCarbonate.

cadebytiger - 26/4/07 at 04:08 PM

haha

StevieB - 26/4/07 at 05:27 PM

But getting back to the forming - if you bent it around a former and clamped it in place for a while (maybe subjecting it to a bit of heat), it should retain it's shape to a fair degree.

As for finishing the edges, I used to used a but of wet and dry to give a nicely finished edge.

DIY Si - 26/4/07 at 05:51 PM

One cheat I used to do at school involved running a bit of glue along the cut egdes. It fills the little scratches up without having to polish them out. Same goes for any little scratches on the faces.

mangogrooveworkshop - 26/4/07 at 06:33 PM

The material you want is Lexan MR5E abrasion resist both sides with good optical light transmission. Cut with a jigsaw or a speed control router. Polished with soap and a buff or wet stone

andy o - 26/4/07 at 06:41 PM

is lexan mr5a easily bent and if so do you know where i can get some?

andy o - 26/4/07 at 06:41 PM

gixxerpat - 26/4/07 at 07:55 PM

To clean up edges ,run a blow lamp arount it , its the best way.

iank - 27/4/07 at 07:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andy o

I don't believe any of the coated grades are easy to bend. The place I linked to sell MR5E which looks like the right stuff for flat applications, but I can't find MR5A on the web anywhere. They have a contact link so I'm sure they'd be able to help.

http://www.gcip.co.uk/EP/lexan_polycarbonate_sheet.htm

Schrodinger - 27/4/07 at 09:02 AM

It's a little way from you but you could try Ipswich Plastics 01473 270101
or you could try
http://www.edplastics.co.uk/

quote:

iank - 27/4/07 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
It's a little way from you but you could try Ipswich Plastics 01473 270101
or you could try
http://www.edplastics.co.uk/

quote:

EDP stock FMR-5E and say it can be cold curved.
http://www.edplastics.co.uk/Lexan%20Polycarbonate%20Glazing%20sheet.htm

[Edited on 27/4/07 by iank]