Board logo

Aluminum treatment
thepest - 3/6/07 at 05:55 AM

Is there anything I could particularly use to polish/treat the aluminum of my locost to a matt finish?
I use the car for racing and it inevitebly gets those fine scratches on the surface and the aluminum gets quite dirty.
Has anyone done anything to prevent this?

Humbug - 3/6/07 at 06:53 AM

What I did was to wash off the dirt and then use a Scotch pad to rub it down to an even "brushed" finish. I got the pad from a DIY store - it was intended for rubbing down painted wood, I think.

If the scratches are minimal there are probably polishing treatments that you could use, but for me they would involve too much hard work, and the ali panels were already a bit manky, so they were never going to look perfect

[Edited on 03.06.2007 by Humbug]

RazMan - 3/6/07 at 06:53 AM

I think you are rather limited to paint after you've rivetted all the panels on. Clear or silver anodizing would make the alloy weather proof and give it a nice satin finish - also adds some strength too as it hardens the outer skin, but this needs doing after the panels are cut and ready to fit.

thepest - 3/6/07 at 08:10 AM

I'll try the scotch pad,but maybe paint looks like the answer, is this a job I can do myself or do I have to take it to a professional sprayer? What sort of primer (if any) should I use?

Hellfire - 3/6/07 at 08:10 AM

Caustic Soda - found in some drain cleaners. I used it for etching the engine reed valve covers.

Put it on - it takes about 10 minutes to burn a matt flat dull grey finish... wash it off. It's very dangerous stuff though so be careful!

Have a look at this site HERE it explains how to anodise but the important bit is the preperation part for you.

Steve

rusty nuts - 3/6/07 at 08:13 AM

If you need to use primer you will need an etch primer , probably safer than caustic soda?

bartonp - 3/6/07 at 08:44 AM

Something to try on some scrap to decide if you like it first - rotary wire brush at high speed. It lifts & melts the surface, leaving a rough , random finish. Might trap dirt though.

Phil.

mangogrooveworkshop - 3/6/07 at 09:16 AM

Have a look a macspeedy car in the for sale bit.
thats scotchpads .....dont use a wire brush as it leave steel on the surface that rusts or get a scotch 3m buffer fine (hairy one not paper flaps) and stick it in the die grinder that makes a nice finnish
http://picasaweb.google.com/patrickjquinlan/MeetingAtMangos/photo#5067874272915134050

[Edited on 3-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

[Edited on 3-6-07 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop - 3/6/07 at 09:25 AM

Rescued attachment DSCF0975.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0975.JPG

thepest - 3/6/07 at 03:01 PM

So in the above image attached, that is just using scotch pad? or has anything been painted over it?

02GF74 - 4/6/07 at 03:28 PM

see my posts ,going back a year by now, about my bonnet prep; if I was oing it all agian, I'd paint it.

bobster - 9/6/07 at 09:41 PM

I have sprayed bare ali with a clear lacquer. Holts from any car shop. easy to apply and gives a good finnish form a tin.