Board logo

Replacement Windscreen Glass
Michael - 29/6/07 at 08:31 PM

I have just recieved my windscreen i have just brought off the net, but it arrived broken.

The cost of the actualy carriage and screen wasn't much so am not worried about that.

Does anyone know an approximate price or who to use?

Thanks Rescued attachment 001.jpg
Rescued attachment 001.jpg

Mark Allanson - 29/6/07 at 08:45 PM

You local autoglass or similar should be able to cut you one using that as a template, they cut laminate glass all the time for JCB's, coaches, boats etc, I was quoted £35 including a kite mark

BenB - 29/6/07 at 08:55 PM

That's very good!!!! Costs £85 from Caterham...

Chippy - 29/6/07 at 10:07 PM

One small point, if you haven't yet been for SVA the glass MUST be marked with the correct code. They will fail you if the wrong one is etched on the glass. The codes that are acceptable are BS857, BS857/2, BS5282, and BSAU178, these are the codes stated in the SVA inspection manual. HTH Ray

Peteff - 29/6/07 at 11:25 PM

They will fail you if it's etched on anywhere, it has to be printed between the layers of glass used to make the screen.

bobster - 30/6/07 at 06:49 AM

just out of interest. I snapped my windscreen in half whilst building my car. I had build up insurance. they paid up without question for a replacement. guy came out to the house

Chippy - 30/6/07 at 10:02 PM

Hm! well all I can tell you is that mine was etched into the glass, (watched the cutter do it), and that was one item it didn't fail on. Ray

Peteff - 30/6/07 at 11:11 PM

In 2000 he was testing a Westy and inspected the screen closely. His explanation was that the marking had to be done by the glass manufacturer and not the screen cutter.