Board logo

GRP/Fibre Glass - For Custom Kit Car - Know anywhere????
StuartBJ - 16/4/08 at 03:24 PM

Hi Chaps,

Does snyone know anywhere that will do custom body work (for a good price of course)

I`m almost finished building a mid-mounted V12 kit car (own design), from a SL600 (Photo`s soon) and I need to start making front/nosecone bodywork. The car is very Lemans style, the flat sections are panel aluminium (bonded and riveted) but I need help with complex cures, hence fibre glass.

I guess anything Lemans...ish, ultima front end etc would work very well.

The only place I can find is a place called fastglass2000 who make a race car front ends, but they have no contact details.

http://www.fibreglasspanels.co.uk/

Any idea`s or suggestions?

Best Regards
Stuart

07874005802 (incase you arr reading this and make bodywork for a living ha ha)

mookaloid - 16/4/08 at 03:43 PM

Don't know the answer to your question but I can't wait to see the pics

Welcome by the way

Cheers

mark

StuartBJ - 16/4/08 at 03:49 PM

Cheers, ive been on for a while now, but only got round to phoning up today.

andyd - 16/4/08 at 03:56 PM

C'mon on then let's see some photos!

turbodisplay - 16/4/08 at 04:05 PM

Where are you, i know of a company in romford area that may be able to help. Baril products, I buy my raw material from him. Makes a few car pannels.

Thanks
Darren

StuartBJ - 16/4/08 at 04:13 PM

I`m in Loughborough, the cars in Market Harborough but my family live in Kent (past essex), so its not to much of a mission!

Should I give them a call! ???

blakep82 - 16/4/08 at 04:14 PM

there's a company called boss motors, they make the GRP panels for the pick up truck racing. i've got some of theirs in the garden. don't know if they'll be able to help, but maybe worth a call?
i'll get the number when i go out side

lsdweb - 16/4/08 at 04:23 PM

Hi StuartBJ

Welcome!

Whilst they are a long way west for you, I'd recommend MVS Racing

They've done a lot for me and can do anything with GRP and CF.

Have a look at their web site.

Regards

Wyn

StuartBJ - 16/4/08 at 04:33 PM

Thanks chaps, any recommendations are welcome I don`t mind a bit of travel

MikeR - 16/4/08 at 05:07 PM

There is a place in Hinckley / Barwell that does GRP. Not sure if they'd be interested but at least they'd be relatively local.

StuartBJ - 16/4/08 at 05:41 PM

do you know the name?

best regards
stuart

turbodisplay - 16/4/08 at 07:34 PM

Baril productshttp://www.localbrit.co.uk/business/baril-products

Darren

Simon - 16/4/08 at 09:22 PM

Hi Stuart and welcome.

As you've built the rest of the car, why don't you have a go at the fibreglass too.

There's plenty on here who've made their own complex bodywork (I made mine, but as you can see, it's quite simple).

ATB

Simon

StuartBJ - 17/4/08 at 12:48 AM

Hmmm yeah not a bad idea, but I have no idea where to start??? I`m bound to mess it up!

Someone mention using old foam cut to shape and then skinned with Mica and making a mould that way. Does that sound right? Is FBG ing a hard skill to pick up? I know its time consuming!

DarrenW - 17/4/08 at 08:25 AM

Do a search for FredWB. Hes making a fantastic job of a Lola relica. Perhaps a bit extreme but it does show a good approach. Then search for Steve Graber. He posted a good record of the LaBala development.

These 2 may put you off but show a quality approach. There are also other posts by people who have made smaller panels like wings etc.

Other option is to see if any currently available bodies might fit wih a bit of alteration. What chassis have you done - or is that all custom too?

My immediate thoughts is that you are trying to do full car for £3,000. Custom body may well nudge you over that.

Delinquent - 17/4/08 at 08:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by StuartBJ
Hmmm yeah not a bad idea, but I have no idea where to start??? I`m bound to mess it up!

Someone mention using old foam cut to shape and then skinned with Mica and making a mould that way. Does that sound right? Is FBG ing a hard skill to pick up? I know its time consuming!

Get a book on composites and you'll be laughing from the actual layup perspective - just buy some materials and start moulding small test parts first. Time consuming yes, and you tend to either love it or hate it, but it's VERY rewarding when the part pops out the mould

On the forming side... that is IMO a much more aquired skill - how are you at sculpting and carving, sanding to a pristine finish? If you don't mind spending time doing things like this, and are reasonably apt, then it's something many can do. If you ask yourself and come up with the honest answer that you'd likely cut corners, don't do it.

Triton - 17/4/08 at 01:07 PM

Stuart,
I know a top bloke nr junction 16 of the M1 who makes race car bodywork even kit car stuff...Daventry Fibreglass and fellas name is Steve Graves...

Cheers
Mark