Board logo

Garage Size
phil T5 - 5/5/07 at 10:45 AM

Im in the process of renting out garage to begin build

Whats the min space you think I'll need to build the car in the garage. Quess 3m X 3m?

What are the actual dimensions of the finished car?

RazMan - 5/5/07 at 10:53 AM

I built my car, including making the bucks for the moulds in a standard single garage ..... but I wouldn't do it again

If you can get the build to the rolling chassis stage, you can roll it outside to work on it, then roll it back when done for the day.

nib1980 - 5/5/07 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
I built my car, including making the bucks for the moulds in a standard single garage ..... but I wouldn't do it again

If you can get the build to the rolling chassis stage, you can roll it outside to work on it, then roll it back when done for the day.

Me too single garage, but managed it, have a look in my photos if you want

good luck

zilspeed - 5/5/07 at 12:21 PM

2.4 x 4.8M here.

Can walk all the way around the car and have a bench with shelving above.

The Sylva is wider at the front than a Locost, so a Locost would be much more comfortable to work on in my little workspace.

BenB - 5/5/07 at 01:14 PM

As much as possible!!!

I started @ Stuart Taylor motorsports garage which was huge and very nice (air rivettor!!)!!! Then I moved to a single council lock-up... Very small and no electricity. Very slow progress........
Then I moved to a slightly longer garage (allowed me to have a workbench and also had mains electricity) but still pretty narrow....

It's possible to built in a tiny garage but it will be a slower build...
I'd make sure you have electricity wherever you rent, and then go for the biggest one possible (especially length wise)...

Dick Axtell - 5/5/07 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
As much as possible!!!

It's possible to built in a tiny garage but it will be a slower build...

Very true!!!! Still building, mainly when its not raining, and when its not too cold!

LOL

badding - 5/5/07 at 04:43 PM

My garage is 5X8 Mtr space enough

StevieB - 5/5/07 at 05:13 PM

I have a standard garage in a new house - couldn't even get my old Smart Roadster in there properly.

Built a car fine, but I find I need to spend a good hhalf hour after everuy garage session tidying and clearing up otherwise things become impossible really quickly (but I'm a bit of a neat freak anyway )