Board logo

Daihatsu charade alternator question
givemethebighammer - 16/2/04 at 05:40 PM

Anyone got any idea what amp rating the daihatsu charade alternator is: I think it is 35A but could be wrong. Looking at buying a largish motorbike battery to start / run my 2.0L zetec (no screen hence no wipers / demist etc) and don't want to get one that will get cooked. I know the inbuilt regulator on the alternator should stop this but it is always best to check.

thanks

elitewiring - 18/2/04 at 04:16 AM

the following are the amp ratings of the alternators that were fitted. 1.0 diesel 1983-87 and 1.0 turbo diesel 1985-87 was 40 amps. 1.0 petrol 1980-87 and 1.0 petrol turbo 1983-87 was 45 amps. 1.0 1.0 gti 1987-90, 1.3i 1993-96 and 1.5i 1994-96 was 60 amps. hope this helps.

Metal Hippy - 18/2/04 at 05:22 AM

Interesting name and description of what you're building Elite...

Any more info in the interests of public service?

givemethebighammer - 18/2/04 at 09:50 PM

hmmm, think I took it off a 1.3 16v car it was definately a G reg so I think maybe it is a 60 Amp unit. Definately twin cam 16v.

thanks

JoelP - 18/2/04 at 10:02 PM

hi gimme, any chance of a photo of the daihatsu unit? my sierra alt has about 1mm clearance with the steering column...

cheers if you can!

Mark Allanson - 18/2/04 at 10:07 PM

My sierra unit has a -40mm clearance all round!

givemethebighammer - 18/2/04 at 10:10 PM

Can do Joel , but the engine is still on the stand at the moment, and its a 2.0L Zetec. I had to make a bracket to mount it (the alternator). Got the design from Siert who sometimes visits this forum. I fitted the daihatsu unit mainly to solve two issues.

1. the normal mounting for a zetec alternator is on the exhaust side of the engine. I have heard of situations where the heat from the exhaust has damaged the alternator.

2. I have fitted twin Weber 45's , so needed a very small alternator to fit underneath them !!!

I'll try and take some pics at the weekend. (dark garage + crap digital camera = crap photos)

[Edited on 18/2/04 by givemethebighammer]

[Edited on 18/2/04 by givemethebighammer]

JoelP - 18/2/04 at 10:13 PM

my exhaust is gonna need some hardcore lagging, as the master cylinder and altenator are all VERY close to it!

elitewiring - 18/2/04 at 10:16 PM

metal hippy,
i manufacture wiring looms for kit cars (including locosts).
i may well advertise them for sale on this forum in the near future.
orginally i designed and manufactured looms for luego and have now moved onto other things.
i can see that there is a limited choice of wiring looms to locost builders (either manufacturer or premier wiring) i aim to change this and give another choice to everybody with a higher quality product for no more money, i can achieve this because my overheads are lower.
i could also stay in contact with builders via this forum as it appears the likes of premier wiring are hard to contact.

Mark Allanson - 18/2/04 at 10:28 PM

I hate wiring (you cannot weld the bloody stuff). I want a loom to fit a 2.0i sierra engine with injection fitted, for standard sierra instruments and column. I can fit the rear end of the car no problem. Any estimate of price - I can supply the original sierra loom as a basis as required

ray.h. - 19/2/04 at 12:12 AM

Can you supply a cortina harness to mate up to a sierra column.I have all the sierra plugs?

elitewiring - 19/2/04 at 01:34 AM

mark.
the looms i supplied to luego were a universal loom (fits all luegos but engine wiring would need to be made up) this was due to the vast array of different engines people install. even though i can charge less than the other suppiers (low overheads and not vat registered(saving you 17.5 % straight away)) i do need to decide if a car/engine loom is in demand enough to warrant the design time. i am interested in your engine choice and would be interested in persuing this loom choice. cost would be approx £80 this would include lighting relay kit (note,not supplied with loom from luego and some other companies) i would need you to supply the steering column connectors. the problem is that i dont want to commit to your job right now because i am in the middle of designing a loom for a motorcycle engine fisher fury, and i dont want to let anyone down including you.
i will be in a position in the next couple of weeks to go into this idea.
i will post a message regarding this when i can.

lsdweb - 19/2/04 at 10:20 PM

Hi All

I've used a CVH alternator on my Zetec engined Locost. A book chassis but with the engine set back about 6inches further than standard. The alternator is standard CVH Sierra (I'm also using the flywheel, starter, clutch etc.) and mounted on a modified Tiger bracket (wish I'd made my own!. Everything sits nice and tight to the block and should fit in most locations.

I think I've attached a picture!

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG