Board logo

R1 still not starting?
daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 07:24 PM

engine was not starting late last week and battery was struggling.charged battery today and still wont fire. ignition is fine but when shorting a plug to earth there is no spark. the only thing i have done since sva (where it started fine) is disconnect a second speedo which i needed for sva. one wire went straight to ignition.3 wires to speed sensor and one was connected onto a spade which i dont know what it does.as is now loose. if i touch this to ignition barrel all lights on savage switches come on. any suggestions as to why there is no spark?

spdpug98 - 19/5/09 at 07:32 PM

Have you ran through the diagnosis mode on the clocks, this will allow you to fire the plugs and see if the ignition system is working

daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 07:35 PM

am running veypor vr2 dash!

spdpug98 - 19/5/09 at 07:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
am running veypor vr2 dash!

Ahh, sorry didn't realise that

Can't be much more help as my mate did my electrics as they just confuse me

daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 07:59 PM

i never did mine either so am lost. seems like am getting nothing from ecu

spdpug98 - 19/5/09 at 08:13 PM

Is the starter relay clicking and giving a feed to the ECU, that was one of the initial problems we had on my car

daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 08:23 PM

i think so. there is a clicking when ignition is turned.cant understand why no spark as it was fine until last friday.

Snap-off - 19/5/09 at 08:31 PM

I would re-fit the speedo to make sure that is not the cause of the starting problem. You may have unknowingly pulled out another connection or fused something.
Did the speedo have illumination? I would have thought it would have speedo sensor wires, illumination, earth and ignition live.

[Edited on 21/5/09 by Snap-off]

daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 08:36 PM

speedo has been sent back to mnr. it was like a bike clock so not sure if it had illumination. it could be the case though!

TimC - 19/5/09 at 09:27 PM

Dan

Curious - Did you or Marc fit the earth strap from battery/chassis to engine?

Check the fuse box as that was always the weak link in the loom. If it's as it was, the ECU has its own fuse I think.

Keep me informed - I'll have a think.

TC

daniel mason - 19/5/09 at 09:40 PM

earth strap done and it has been fine until last week.it started first time every time.