Board logo

Have I Broken it?
rsmith95uk - 13/5/10 at 03:51 PM

After spending some time attempting (& failing) to remove my oil filter, I dropped my ratchet handle down the side of the engine where it promptly managed to momentarily arc across the started motor terminals.

On checking (after re-filling with oil), I have no charge light working and my multimeter detects no increase in voltage when the engine is running.

Have I blown the rectifier/regulator or could it be something simple like a fuse?

Cheers
Ray

Flamez - 13/5/10 at 04:01 PM

have you looked at the fuse box and main fuse? It would be my first port of call

skinned knuckles - 13/5/10 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
have you looked at the fuse box and main fuse? It would be my first port of call

+1

02GF74 - 13/5/10 at 04:19 PM

if charge lamp is notcming one when you switch in igntion, heck it has not blown and check it is receiving 12 V on one end - could be fused.

rsmith95uk - 13/5/10 at 04:23 PM

yep - been through the fuses & all looks OK!

What I don't understand is that the charge warning light bulb looks fine, but isn't lighting. However, the voltmeter is reading a charge of exactly 12 volts whether the engine is running or not.

Cheers
Ray

r1_pete - 13/5/10 at 04:30 PM

You should see 13-14v with the engine anything above idle.

Sounds like its blown the reg/rec

02GF74 - 13/5/10 at 04:32 PM

remove bulb from holder and measure resistance - the filament my look ok but be broken.

then check you have 12 V on one side of the bulb, the side that is not connected to alternator.

then and check wire from bulb to alternator is intact and not dropped off.

remove that wire from alternator and check you see 12 V.

if all that is good, then it looks bad for the alternator.

shorting the starter motor should have shorted the alternator output since that is how it is normally wired.

fazerruss - 13/5/10 at 05:23 PM

if it is the rectifier or regulator in the alternator im 99% sure my mum will have a new one in her shed but would need to see a pic of said item.

britishtrident - 13/5/10 at 05:48 PM

Check the Mega Fuse and/or Max Fuses Rescued attachment thumbnail_mega200.jpg
Rescued attachment thumbnail_mega200.jpg

rsmith95uk - 13/5/10 at 06:24 PM

thanks for the tips lads - looks like the alternator!

Britishtrident - where does the 'megafuse' live - somewhere in the alternator itself I assume?

Cheers
Ray

stevebubs - 13/5/10 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rsmith95uk
thanks for the tips lads - looks like the alternator!

Britishtrident - where does the 'megafuse' live - somewhere in the alternator itself I assume?

Cheers
Ray

If it's a kit, you're unlikely to have one. If it's a tin top, then it'll be in the engine bay fusebox....