Board logo

High beams not working...
jono2020 - 23/9/10 at 02:51 PM

Since iv had the car iv never had high beam so at night its really hard to see. I presume it had it at one point because it needs it for the MOT i think... Iv checked all the fuses and they seem fine. Any thought on why they wouldnt be working?

lewis - 23/9/10 at 02:56 PM

Prob have it's own relay for full beam.

jono2020 - 23/9/10 at 03:17 PM

Ok well wat do I need to do to check that??

scudderfish - 23/9/10 at 03:34 PM

FInd the relay and swap it for one you know works (such as the fuel pump). If the lights then work, the relay was knackered, if they don't the relay may be OK. Check the bulbs work.

BenB - 23/9/10 at 03:36 PM

Or just back take off the wires to / from the lamps on the relay, put a multimeter across those exposed terminals (on resistance) and activate the lights.

Simples.

neilp1 - 23/9/10 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Prob have it's own relay for full beam.

The Tiger wiring diagram shows that it is not wired to any relay, although mine is wired via ignition and 2 relays. So I think it depends on who done the wiring.

I've also had problems but I think mine is down to a sticky relay as it sometimes come on with the headlights and won't turn off.

Macbeast - 24/9/10 at 07:14 AM

Duff Dip / Main switch ?

jono2020 - 24/9/10 at 08:32 AM

Ok I think I'm in over my head a bit here... Not the best with the electrics. May have to find someone around here to help me... Any takers around the west mids area??

scudderfish - 24/9/10 at 08:48 AM

Don't give up. There really are only a few things involved :-
1. +12v feed
2. Some wire
3. A fuse
4. A switch
5. A bulb
6. The earth.

Probably only one of those is broken. Don't try to guess what is wrong, use a process of elimination. Open up the headlight to get access to the back of the light. Get a piece of wire and run it from the + side of the battery to the bulb. It will probably light (having both bulbs blow at the same time would be unfortunate), and then you can eliminate the bulb and the earth from the list. Now find the relay. Take your long wire and touch it to where the feed to the bulbs exits the relay. If the lights light, you have a good circuit from the relay. Next swap the relay for a known good one (as I said before) and so on. Just be methodical and don't try things at random. Electrics aren't really that tough as they are generally a variation on the list of items above.
Obviously, don't touch anything with the end of the piece of wire as it is unfused and will get very hot/melt if it touches the chassis/engine.

RK - 26/9/10 at 12:55 AM

Try ice cubes.