Board logo

Loom choices
Hammy360 - 14/4/11 at 07:10 PM

anyone offer advice and good loom manufacturers? Ive got a zetec with digidash and probably an emerald ECU. GBS do one but seems very expensive when you look at cost of chassis loom and then zetec loom

Hammy360 - 14/4/11 at 07:15 PM

just found another thread and it seems premier is the one to go for, anyone got any examples of what it cost them?

femster87 - 14/4/11 at 07:18 PM

hey hammy I used the premier loom, cost 130 iirc. Its a very good loom. its been educational and very satisfying for people like me who haven't got a clue on wiring. Alan has been very helpful on the phone as well, must have called him about 10 times

Hammy360 - 14/4/11 at 07:30 PM

cheers mate I think I'll go with them too. Out of interest I just found Zetec engine loom on ebay new for 20 quid, how come gbs want £300????

femster87 - 14/4/11 at 07:42 PM

the loom you found would be for the standard zetec ecu. The GBS engine loom is the emerald one if am correct. Depends on what ecu you would be using later.

coozer - 14/4/11 at 07:45 PM

Bog standard Ford Sierra vote here. Whats the point buying loom when the donor has one?

Plus, if no donor loom, make your own. Dead easy

Hammy360 - 14/4/11 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
the loom you found would be for the standard zetec ecu. The GBS engine loom is the emerald one if am correct. Depends on what ecu you would be using later.

Oh OK so is it that the zetec loom cant just be modified to take the emerald ecu? excuse my complete ignorance on wiring

femster87 - 14/4/11 at 07:55 PM

can be, but I would think you would be better off making your loom for the emerald when you buy the ecu. The pinout would be provided if you ask emerald and you can make you own wiring loom. I am like you as well no clue with wiring but I have learnt alot in the last yeat

Hammy360 - 14/4/11 at 08:01 PM

cheers Ill start the chassis with premier and take it from there

Ben_Copeland - 14/4/11 at 08:16 PM

Just got my premier loom couple weeks ago. £120. Very good.

Thought I did have to wait 4+ weeks for it.

The Modfather - 14/4/11 at 08:41 PM

I made my own loom for the megajolt, edis, coil pack etc etc, as long as you can solder and cut wire to length then you can do it yourself. I know that sounds patronising, and I don't mean to be, but it really is as simple as that. Why pay for someone else to make it?
Just work out what wires you need, then go on Auto Electrical Supplies, or CBS or any of the other umpteen suppliers, order your thin walled cable (either 1.6mm or 2mm is fine) in different colours, and away you go!
Don't forget your shielded cable for the VR sensor!

AndyW - 14/4/11 at 09:34 PM

Another vote for Premier, £120 and about a 3 week wait, but quality great and as for Alan, couldnt be more helpful!

Hammy360 - 15/4/11 at 09:39 AM

Ordered from Premier. Really friendly expert advice and 2-3 week waiting

snowy2 - 15/4/11 at 06:00 PM

rewiring your car the way you want it is not difficult, why not give it a try?