Board logo

Fitting 12v cigarette lighter
jono2020 - 27/4/11 at 07:24 PM

Anyone know the easiest way to fit a 12v charger in the car. Could do with it for using the sat nav etc...

LBMEFM - 27/4/11 at 07:39 PM

As you say just wire in a cigarette lighter socket with a 30amp fuse through the ignition supply.

tomgregory2000 - 27/4/11 at 07:59 PM

30amp is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over the top

normal cig sockets can only take up to 8 amps tops

so a 10 amp will be loads, i would run a 5 amp fuse as thats 60 watts of power on 12v

BenB - 27/4/11 at 08:17 PM

I fitted a 30A fuse but I also ran the socket via a relay straight to the battery so as to not overwhelm the ignition switch (or drain down the battery if I left something plugged in).

David Jenkins - 27/4/11 at 09:13 PM

Most car 12v ciggy sockets are rated at 10A, so that's the size of fuse I fitted.

Mine's wired permanently (i.e. not on the switched side of the ignition) so that my maintenance charger can be plugged in when the car's in the garage.

[Edited on 27/4/11 by David Jenkins]

RoadkillUK - 27/4/11 at 09:14 PM

Wired mine direct to the battery, put an in-line fuse in there (can't remember the rating). It is used for sat-nav and phone charger, but it's main purpose was to charge the battery.

twybrow - 27/4/11 at 09:15 PM

10amp is plenty! I managed to melt the TomTom charger when I wired the socket the wrong way around.... Ooops.

trextr7monkey - 27/4/11 at 09:40 PM

Maplins do an aux socket which won't light ciggies and it comes with a marine style cover, around £4 I think, does the job perfeectly

RazMan - 27/4/11 at 10:10 PM

As above, don't fit a ciggy lighter but fit a 'proper' 12V power socket - much more reliable (as in won't fall out) and a 10A fuse won't implode your ickle alternators

jono2020 - 28/4/11 at 07:45 AM

oh ok cheers guys. maplins it is then. Still not great with electrics so Ill give it a go...

David Jenkins - 28/4/11 at 07:52 AM

I used a lighter socket because most of my accessories have lighter socket type plugs. If you fit anything else you may have a lot of plug rewiring to do! Apart from my charger, I have my satnav, an inspection lamp, an invertor for my laptop, and a 5v USB power supply to drive anything that can connect to it (e.g. my phone). I can't/won't fit new plugs to that lot!

My socket was designed solely as a power outlet, and has a flap that hinges down when I'm not using it.

The Black Flash - 28/4/11 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

My socket was designed solely as a power outlet, and has a flap that hinges down when I'm not using it.

Yup - CBS do them I think, but there are plenty on ebay - I picked up a new VAG one for a couple of quid.