Board logo

Headlamp wiring Savage switches.
JeffJeffers - 17/9/11 at 08:59 AM

Hi all.
I have wired in my Savage switches for my headlamps and just want to check that it is ok for IVA.
1. I have wired them so the dipped and main beam won't work unless the side lights are on.
2. When I turn the main beam on the dipped beam will go out but side lights stay on.

omega 24 v6 - 17/9/11 at 09:06 AM

Sounds fine.

daniel mason - 17/9/11 at 12:14 PM

So long as side lights come on with ignition off

JeffJeffers - 17/9/11 at 01:32 PM

Side lights do come on with the ignition off but dip and main beam only work when the ignition is on

snowy2 - 17/9/11 at 05:53 PM

headlight position is important, (for dip beam mostly) and number (you cannot have multiple dip beams and a maximum of 4 mains) i dont think it matters if dip and main come on without the ignition on or not (some one correct me if i am wrong)

bigdrew - 18/9/11 at 04:43 PM

Jeff, Do you have a wiring diagram that you have used to do this? I'm at this point now and I am a little confused how to make the dips go off when the mains come on. (And dips stay on with the mains are flashed if you have a flash option)

Jason Fletcher - 18/9/11 at 09:05 PM

Also make sure the fog only comes on when the main beam or dipped are on. Can be done with 2 relays or 1 relay and two diodes.

Jason

JeffJeffers - 18/9/11 at 09:28 PM

I have just done this quick on the computer so I hope it makes sense. Because the Savage switch are kind of 2 seperate switches in one no need for a relay for the fog lamps.
The Yellow wires going fo to the lamps will need to be fused.

Savage switch wiring 2
Savage switch wiring 2

[Edited on 18/9/11 by JeffJeffers]

Jason Fletcher - 18/9/11 at 09:53 PM

It may be late at night but I'm finding it hard to see how that will work.

J

[Edited on 18/9/11 by Jason Fletcher]

Jason Fletcher - 18/9/11 at 10:00 PM

Ah got it, looks fine to me

JeffJeffers - 18/9/11 at 10:01 PM

Just edited the picture with a label on the ignition switch.

bigdrew - 19/9/11 at 08:11 PM

Thanks for positing the diagram, it is a massive help. Think I will put the fuses on the +12v going into the relays rather on the wires feeding the lights though..