Board logo

alternator battery sense?
blakep82 - 21/9/11 at 11:54 AM

got a nippon denso alternator with the type 4 connector

what is battery sense? will i do damage to the regualtor if i was to not connect it up? just for testing that is. whn the proper wiring is done, it will be put in.

at the moment, i'm considering wiring up the alternator, so i can jump start the car and let it run, but with no battery. kinda like what some race cars do. just let it run off the alternator.
will i end up damaging the alternator?
desperate to have a drive of this car now lol think i've been patient enough!

and has anyone got a plug going spare to fit this?

[Edited on 21/9/11 by blakep82]

MikeRJ - 21/9/11 at 01:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
got a nippon denso alternator with the type 4 connector

what is battery sense? will i do damage to the regualtor if i was to not connect it up? just for testing that is. whn the proper wiring is done, it will be put in.

at the moment, i'm considering wiring up the alternator, so i can jump start the car and let it run, but with no battery. kinda like what some race cars do. just let it run off the alternator.
will i end up damaging the alternator?
desperate to have a drive of this car now lol think i've been patient enough!

and has anyone got a plug going spare to fit this?

[Edited on 21/9/11 by blakep82]

It is a VERY bad idea to connect a battery for starting and then disconnect it whilst the engine is running. This is exactly what causes "load dump", where you can get a massive voltage transient (think 100v+) as you disconnect the battery.

The remote sense wire is to compensate for losses in the heavy wiring between the alternator out and the battery, it gives a true picture of the batteries terminal voltage so the alternator can regulate more accurately. It may work without it being connected, but I'd want confirmation from Brise first.

whitestu - 21/9/11 at 01:24 PM

That looks like the same alternator as mine [though mine is from a tractor].

I can confirm that leaving the ignition light connection off won't make any difference but the other two need to be on - I would definately not run it without a battery connected.

Stu

britishtrident - 21/9/11 at 03:47 PM

All of the above

To make things more clear the battery sensing lead just goes straight from the alernator to the battery positive..

Alterntor connections have to be well made and make 100% good clean firm cotact with no arcing or you will get voltage spikes that can blow electronics in not only the alternator but also the car.

blakep82 - 21/9/11 at 05:40 PM

awesome, i WON'T be running without th battery connected then
battery goes in the back, and i'm too poor to make up battery cables yet. cheers guys