Board logo

Alternator Markings
vintagebuilder - 10/1/05 at 05:54 PM

Evening All,
I've just got a smaller alternator, to fit 2.0l Pinto, off the shelf at the scrappies. it has no markings on it so I don't know the make. it has a 3 terminal connector with the spade terminals marked 'F', 'E' and 'N' and another screw terminal marked 'B'.

The alternator plug on my new loom is for a Ford alternator and won't fit the new one. On the Ford plug there are 2 heavy Brown cables which go to the starter solenoid(same stud as battery cable) and aBrown /Yellow which is the charge warning.

If I remove the Ford plug could anyone please tell me which cables to connect to the terminals on the alternator?

Sorry this query is so long. Hope someone can help.

Regards

David

andyps - 15/1/05 at 06:33 PM

Hi David,

I just had a look at my alternators and non of them have any markings I'm afraid so I can't really help, other than to say that one off a Mini certainly only has one connector inside which the two thick (brown in your case) wires both connect to. It also has an extra spade terminal which has a suppresor connected to it so maybe this is what your screw terminal is for?

Mix - 16/1/05 at 09:53 AM

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs.

According to Hella's catalogue the terminal identifications are as follows:

F Field/Rotor
E Earth
N Central Point
B Battery, (B+ Battery Positive, -/B- Earth)

Mick

Batman - 31/3/05 at 12:24 PM

hi,
David, I just realised I've sent a very similar question to yours ( the same..) last night. How did you get on with wiring your alt' as it sounds as though I've got the same one & fitting to an Indy too.
Thanks

kaymar - 31/3/05 at 09:16 PM

hope this helps i will check tomorrow, but as memeory serves me A/B is battery v connection from ignition switch i/e 12v exciter feed e designates earth f output of alternatior " if early japanese may need external regulator" N = phase tap 6/8 v

euro/brit alternators d = 12v exciter feed from ignition switch s = phase tap typically 8v B+ = posotive output to battery

hope this helps phase tap is usually used for things like auto chokes rpm counter volt sensing relays and on some rover cars may feed ecu regards martin

Batman - 1/4/05 at 12:12 PM

thanks for the advice lads, I've picked up a later Nippon job from the scrappy last night (£10) with just the 2 spades on L and Ign and internal regulator & it seems to be working a treat .

Mark