Board logo

Indicator always on
Benzine - 4/8/05 at 08:00 AM

Recently I did what I thought was impossible. Side lights, dipped and main all work...rear lights, brakes lights work

But as soon as i connect an earth to the indicators they come on straight away. I thought this may be due to the stalk being engaged to indicate left or right but no :S

Is this some kind of common complaint? I know it's probably obvious but can't work it out (using PWS loom btw) and no forum searches turned anything up.

Thanks y'all fo the help

JoelP - 4/8/05 at 08:15 AM

does it still do it if you unplug the stalk switches? Are you using sierra switches with a normal 3 connector flasher relay?

And, is it possible that the hazard lights are on?

does it do it with the ignition off? If so, its a hazard light problem.

[Edited on 4/8/05 by JoelP]

DarrenW - 4/8/05 at 08:28 AM

Wild idea - im no expert. Could the relay be stuck?

Benzine - 4/8/05 at 09:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
does it still do it if you unplug the stalk switches? Are you using sierra switches with a normal 3 connector flasher relay?

And, is it possible that the hazard lights are on?

does it do it with the ignition off? If so, its a hazard light problem.

[Edited on 4/8/05 by JoelP]

Hazard switch is off, just checked But now that I want to test everything it's stopped working completely All other lights still work, just nothing at all with the indicators now :S

mookaloid - 4/8/05 at 09:38 AM

quote:

Hazard switch is off, just checked But now that I want to test everything it's stopped working completely All other lights still work, just nothing at all with the indicators now :S

Bummer

Good luck

Mark

Peteff - 4/8/05 at 10:23 AM

Were they flashing or constant ? What colour is the wire from your switch to the Premier wire on the relay, bk/w or bk/gn/w and does it go to terminal 49a which is power out of the relay via the indicator stalk.

Petemate - 4/8/05 at 11:50 AM

Try several rapid operations of the hazard switch - it is responsible for restoring normal indicator ciruits when switched off.
HTH
Petemate

Hellfire - 4/8/05 at 12:03 PM

You've wired it wrong...

Go here : >ME< and click Hazard Circuit, all will become clear.

Benzine - 4/8/05 at 12:42 PM

Sorted. Turns out the wiring was fine but inside the hazard switch itself was messed up meaning it was always turned on even though it looked off

Benzine - 4/8/05 at 01:54 PM

ARGH!!! Electrics will be the death of me. Shortly after my indicators are fixed, everything works. THEN everything went haywire (which i traced to a bad earth)

NOW the brake light it always on Isn't that great! The brakes haven't been properly bled since i replaced a union, could that cause it? Any ideas?

Spanks

JoelP - 4/8/05 at 04:04 PM

thats an easy one! Try removing the wires from the switch (pressure switch i assume?). If it stays on, you've missed out the switch. If it goes off, the switch or the brake pipes are awry.

Benzine - 4/8/05 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
thats an easy one! Try removing the wires from the switch (pressure switch i assume?). If it stays on, you've missed out the switch. If it goes off, the switch or the brake pipes are awry.

Thanks, took off the wire to the switch and the lights go out
Before doing the electrics I replaced this switch union as the old one was leaking. I haven't bled the brakes since so could air be trapped around the switch/in the lines and be causing the switch to be always on? When i first connected the switch the lights worked properly but as i used the brakes more and more throughout the day they started to always be on :S