Board logo

Tacho for 6 cylinder
dave1888 - 17/2/06 at 11:24 PM

Ive spotted a tacho but it is for a six cylinder car. Is it possible to use it for a 4 cylinder im using megajolt setup on a zetec.

02GF74 - 18/2/06 at 10:33 AM

it will work but the rpm shown will be 2/3 rd of what it is.

If you can't live with then then the answer is no.

It is possiblle to make an electonic circuit to increase the number of pulses. ( /2 then x 3)

David Jenkins - 18/2/06 at 04:34 PM

If it's a Smiths/Greengauges/CA electronic tacho then it will have switches inside for 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines.

If it's anything else... you're on your own!

David

7 in a fancy suit - 18/2/06 at 05:31 PM

I had a similar problem with a car bought about 5 years ago. An XR4i with a 2.0 GLSi engine fitted. Rev counter only read 2/3 rpm. Tried lots of things, had old XR3i dashboards, etc. Couldn't get them to work.
Ended up stripping out the XR4 rev counter and printing stuff up on the computer for the new scale and sticking it over the 6 cylinder scale. Looked good and read accurately....but the needle obviously didn't move round the full of the clock.

stevebubs - 18/2/06 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 7 in a fancy suit
I had a similar problem with a car bought about 5 years ago. An XR4i with a 2.0 GLSi engine fitted. Rev counter only read 2/3 rpm. Tried lots of things, had old XR3i dashboards, etc. Couldn't get them to work.
Ended up stripping out the XR4 rev counter and printing stuff up on the computer for the new scale and sticking it over the 6 cylinder scale. Looked good and read accurately....but the needle obviously didn't move round the full of the clock.

Just waiting for someone to say "So stick a bike engine in!!"

[Edited on 18/2/06 by stevebubs]