Board logo

Headlights
The Doc - 2/6/06 at 07:07 PM

Hi Folks,
Two questions:

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to fit in a 2CV light pod? New reflectors weigh in at 40-50 quid. Surely some other lamp must fit this hole!

Has anyone put the small diameter chrome GTS lights through the SVA? On the site it says they are not SVA proven. These are as cheap as buying the 2CV reflectors alone!

graememk - 2/6/06 at 07:09 PM

jcb fast track or load all lights go on fleebay for £30 ish notes

Hellfire - 2/6/06 at 09:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Doc

Has anyone put the small diameter chrome GTS lights through the SVA? On the site it says they are not SVA proven. These are as cheap as buying the 2CV reflectors alone!

These headlights will not pass SVA without some serious modification. They have the wrong beam pattern and aren't marked correctly. Some people reckon they have passed with them but I seriously doubt it. BKLOCO was the last person to try these headlights at SVA and they failed.

Go to SVC and choose some of their headlights. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to lights and SVC are top notch and excellent value for money. You won't be disappointed. Steve's a top bloke too.

Phil

BKLOCO - 2/6/06 at 09:16 PM

Your absolutely right I did fail at Chelmsford on headlight beam pattern.
This is quite a long story but I'll try and keep it short.
I had turned the lenses so that the "kick up" portion of the beem fell into the "box" on the beam setter. unfortunately this meant that there was no horizontal cut of so the lights failed on this point.
The SVA inspector said that he would have been more inclined to pass it had I left the lenses level.
I fitted a set of old "Westie" lights for the re test. The beam pattern was "horrible" in the words of the tester however they were E marked with the arrow pointing to the nearside and the correct numbers so..In his words again "I've got to pass them"
Bloody crazy...
This is made even more crazy when the Gillingham test centre will NOT pass the small lights when horizontal but WILL when twisted in the housings..
When chatting to the examiner off the record he said that the lights do not have to be E marked etc. to pass but if they were they HAD to pass.
He also said that the flat beam pattern lights were fine.
When quizzed he said the reason he had failed mine was because the horizontal part of the beam was below the horizontal the light pattern on the road would be less than optimal from the drivers point of view.
He did agree that they would not be a problem regarding dazzling oncoming drivers.
Sort the logic out of that lot if you can.

Hellfire - 2/6/06 at 09:20 PM

Copied from GTS Section

Just to make matters even more complicated the SVA inspector at Beverley said he would fail them just for having the incorrect 'e' marking. Luck of the draw when it comes to SVA Inspectors.

Phil

Steve @ sVc - 5/6/06 at 12:52 PM

Don't think JCB lights will be ok either as when I had a "proper" job, and supplied JCB I seem to remember they are classed as “agricultural” and as with the other (motor bike type) small lenses they dip centrally.
As I've said here before, I have been asking all of the companies I can find, who sell vehicle lighting, if they know of lenses that are smaller than the 5 3/4" ones we use, have main beam and dip AND are UK legal. For 5 years now, nobody has offered any.
Unless any of you know differently, that’s how it is.

All the best
Steve @ sVc