Board logo

alternator problem?
tractorboy - 23/6/06 at 09:05 AM

i was driving at night on saturday and noticed that the alternator warning light was permanantly lit all be it dimly . i have noticed it flicker befor especially when accelerating. the battery is new but dont know where to look or what to test first . thanks for any help in advance .cheers scott

David Jenkins - 23/6/06 at 09:54 AM

Have got a Bright 6 module? Mine does that - everything still functions OK so I no longer worry about it.

I might still put a hidden bulb in the circuit to stop it, though.

David

tractorboy - 24/6/06 at 10:17 PM

no i haven't got a module fitted .im just using tiger loom and standard set up( sierra style stalk and tiger switch gear) may have to resort to a standard employed on some of my old bangers ive had , 1 put up with it or 2 take the bulb out ! cheers scott

rusty nuts - 25/6/06 at 08:13 AM

Could be the diode pack in the alternator breaking down ?

dave r - 25/6/06 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tractorboy
may have to resort to a standard employed on some of my old bangers ive had , 1 put up with it or 2 take the bulb out ! cheers scott

without the bulb it wont charge at all.

Dusty - 28/6/06 at 10:58 PM

Could well be the voltage regulator, particularly if during the day it seems to be hardly lit at tickover but gets brighter at high revs.

John Bonnett - 29/6/06 at 05:31 PM

It may be an alternator problem but first it might be worth checking the earth connection for your warning light. I believe one side of the warning light goes to the small connector on the alternator and the other direct to earth. This must be a good connection. I'm sure you have checked the fanbelt tension!!

Cheers

John

tractorboy - 1/7/06 at 07:15 AM

thanks guys i will check all possible causes. cheers scott