Board logo

dodgy looking switch i dont know what its for
robertst - 27/6/06 at 02:12 PM

ripping the sierra's interior apart i noticed a weird toggle switch below the heater unit and facing the driver's footwell. it looks so not OEM that i dont know what it is for.
at first i suspected an aftermarket UV lamp or other tuning gadget, but then i followed the cable and ended up in a relay... does anyone have any idea what it could be?

my last sensible guess is a toggle for an air conditioning unit which was added after the car was bought... but this switch has three ways!...

it maybe unleashes the fury of a hidden turbo or nitrous oxide canister funny thing is i cant find it... will look in the gas tank.

any ideas welcome.

Sirius - 27/6/06 at 02:17 PM

Some sort of rudimentary immobiliser? I found something similar on an old fiesta I used to have.

02GF74 - 27/6/06 at 02:18 PM

if added afterwards, could be anything from some part of an alarm system to an ejector seat!

Are you planning to use it? So do you need to know other than being curious....

spunky - 27/6/06 at 02:21 PM

A ignition ghost switch.... to add extra security and knockout the starting circuit. I've fitted them before on old bangers.

A switch for an electric aerial.

Maybe just a daft place to install a switch for driving lights.

Macbeast - 27/6/06 at 04:32 PM

My donor Sierra has one of these and it's an immobiliser.

peterriley2 - 27/6/06 at 05:26 PM

immoboliser- spoilt all the fun!!

robertst - 27/6/06 at 06:57 PM

[smacking my head]
ooooooooohhhhhhh why on earth havent i thought of that? of course! it must be that! like a DIY battery cut-off switch.

Pezza - 27/6/06 at 11:47 PM

I had a little switch hidden away up behind the dash in my old westy, it just cut power to the coil.
Was handy cos you could start the bloody thing with a spoon as my mate down the pub showed me one day lol