Board logo

Battery Isolator Switch
brynhamlet - 7/3/08 at 09:33 PM

I've bought a battery isolator switch as both a safety device and also as a secondary means of theft provention. (I don't even have a steering lock)
Is it normal pracice to use use it to just break the power cable from the battery or is it practice to break the starter motor cable as well

madrallysport - 7/3/08 at 09:36 PM

Break the main battery cable is best, and if its one with the extra contacts on the end of it (4 spade teminals) run your ignition wires though it as well

caber - 7/3/08 at 09:36 PM

Mine totally disconnects the battery positive from the car. This is nice and easy for disconecting everyhing!

Caber

LBMEFM - 7/3/08 at 09:44 PM

If you just break the battery cable supply with the engine running I think you will fry the alternator cicuit.

BenB - 7/3/08 at 10:08 PM

Yup! If you isolate everything then just don't use it with the engine running else you'll frazz the regulator....

iank - 7/3/08 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Yup! If you isolate everything then just don't use it with the engine running else you'll frazz the regulator....

Which is a very good reason to use the ones with 6 terminals and a chunky resistor. The resistor protects the alternator when it's used by a scrutineer/marshal/forgetful owner

brynhamlet - 8/3/08 at 09:15 AM

my MK has a dizzie, so if I cut all power the engine will stop anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem

BenB - 8/3/08 at 01:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Which is a very good reason to use the ones with 6 terminals and a chunky resistor. The resistor protects the alternator when it's used by a scrutineer/marshal/forgetful owner

I know! Luckily although I'm tight I'm not forgetful so my simple + cheap isolator has worked fine so far....