Board logo

push button starters
donut - 6/1/04 at 09:41 PM

Anyone know of good quality 12v push button starters and how to wire them up including anything else i would need. I like the idea of using the normal key ignition to unlock the steering lock and turn on the ignition but use a button on the dash to start the car.

Any help would be apreciated.

Andy

Matthew_1 - 6/1/04 at 09:49 PM

If you're feeling very flash (and flush at £50!) try http://www.crxchaos.co.uk/button/

Honda S2000 starter. There is a part number and links to obtain one - plus basic wiring

bob - 6/1/04 at 09:52 PM

Andy

Are you going to have a bar-b-q to make sure you fit this "push button starter" properly

+=/- =

chrisg - 6/1/04 at 10:33 PM

Use a relay and you can use any "on while pressed button" mines a washer button, about three quid, the self contained ones are expensive because you need very big contacts, a relay means that the switch only needs to be 12v and won't burn out which the "starter button" types are prone to do.

Cheers

Chris

blueshift - 7/1/04 at 01:22 AM

When the time came I quite fancied getting a red button off an old arcade machine, or second best, a new equivalent.

I liked the idea of a red arcade machine button to start the funmobile

donut - 7/1/04 at 07:35 AM

Cheers Guy's, very helpful.

Bob- Ha bloody ha mate!!!!! tee hee, you will never let me live that down will you!! I'll make sure i'll get my electrician (Jason) to do it properly.

Anyone any idea which wires i need to remove from the key barrel?

Cheers

Andy

Jonte - 7/1/04 at 09:05 AM

Another stupid question

How do you simpliest stop the engine if all the wires goes to the start button?

Julian B - 7/1/04 at 09:38 AM

I should just check on the sva regs just to be sure but i think you may still need an ignition key even if you use a starter button. I think the sva regs state that the car must be secure and depending on the age of the donor car it may need some sort of immobiliser. Someone else may know the exact details.

Mark H - 7/1/04 at 10:31 AM

Jont - I had thought that myself!!

Anyone got an answer?!

(or are we both now stoopid!!)

GO - 7/1/04 at 10:54 AM

Same as always, just turn the key backwards. The button only needs to provide the power to the start motor, once started there's no power going through the button at all.

As chrisg says, use a relay cos the start needs a lot of juice.

Simon - 7/1/04 at 01:46 PM

Chaps,

Maybe one of our auto electrician chums could confirm, but the current from switch to the starter SOLENOID isn't that much.

The solenoid itself is a dirty great relay, that closes the contacts on the battery wire (that's the Big Red One!!).

I do, of course, stand to be humiliated

ATB

Simon

GO - 7/1/04 at 01:59 PM

I imagine you're right because none of the wires on the back of the ignition barrel are particularly chunky and all your doing is diverting one of those to a push button instead of the final key turn...

EDIT - bear in mind my electrical knowledge doesnt go vastly beyond wiring house hold plugs!

[Edited on 7/1/2004 by GO]

stephen_gusterson - 7/1/04 at 01:59 PM

The solenoid current may not be 'that much' but its still prob a good few amps.

A lot of switches are AC rated and dont like DC at more than a handful of amps. Non lekky types might not use a ballsy switch and it will fail - thats what I think Chris is trying to say.

Its not taking 300A

My wife's megane has a push to start button. Its enabled by using a 'smart card' in a slot. First push starts engine, any subsequent push stops it.

For a locost, you would need a key switch for nomal power and the button to act as the starter position.

Really early minis had a starter button. For the elders amoungst us, you will remember when cars had a rubber 'push' button on the seperate starter solenoid (not pre engaged starters). You could start the car under the bonnet.

Minis simply had one of these on the floor by the driver - there was no low current trigger to the solenoid - you simply manually pushed the solenoid actuator after turning the dashboard key switch.

On a modern car, you would need to satisfy sva with security methods like a steering lock. I think on a megane this is done electromechanically.

atb

steve

donut - 7/1/04 at 04:26 PM

I have had a look in the Deamon Tweaks catalogue and they do push buttons and ignition switches plus they do one of each on a small panel for £35+vat

All i would need is the main key for the steering lock and re wire the rest for the panel..job done!! All i need to know now is how to wire it up.......history has not been kind to my attempts at wiring!!!

Andy

James - 7/1/04 at 04:35 PM

Was about to suggest that Demon Thieves panel. Comes with a covered ignition switch and light too if you want! If it wasn't for the £35 I'd have one myself!

James

theconrodkid - 7/1/04 at 05:16 PM

some cars have a relay to fire the solenoid,it is a fair few amps needed so best to put a relay in the circuit

donut - 7/1/04 at 06:10 PM

If i use a relay can i use any 12v button?

Keeping to the locost theme (not my usual aproach!!) i thought i could find a button for just a few quid......any ideas?

Andy

theconrodkid - 7/1/04 at 08:12 PM

yup

chrisg - 7/1/04 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by donut
If i use a relay can i use any 12v button?

Keeping to the locost theme (not my usual aproach!!) i thought i could find a button for just a few quid......any ideas?

Read my post or I'll come there and smack your legs!!!

Cheers

Chris

Damo - 9/1/04 at 03:39 PM

I fitted a Honda S2000 starter button into my old MX-5 a while ago and followed these instructions:

http://www.miata.net/garage/pushstart/index.html

I found them quite usefull and since then a few friends have modified the same instructions to suit their own cars. There are however loads more instructions detailed for specific cars out there on t'internet

Hope it helps.

donut - 9/1/04 at 04:24 PM

Velly intelesting Damo (in daft chinese voice!- due to honda and Mazda MX-5 cars shown!!)

Andy

robinbastd - 9/1/04 at 09:15 PM

Donut,
Were you asleep in geography lessons?

Ian

alister667 - 9/1/04 at 10:52 PM

To answer your original question I used one of these. I bought it from Europa for about 7 quid I think.

I used no relays - mind you mines a Blade, so I don't know how the electrics would differ from a current point of view. I use the Sierra key to unlock the the steering lock (SVA compliant anti-theft mechanism) and switch the ignition on. Hit the button momentarily to start, and switch the key into the off position to stop. Works very well and I like the look of it. Only 1 point - that switch isn't water proof, I have it mounted under the dash on the tranny tunnel, so it's unlikely to get *too* wet. Hopefully.

bob - 9/1/04 at 10:54 PM

Ha Ha i like that one LOL

Andy
i think you set yourself up for all the jokes pretty well,how did you evere manage to put that car together
You did put that car together didnt you,or was is the magic kit building pixies.
China has a world beating car industry now

marcyboy - 10/1/04 at 12:02 AM

i used to know a bird with "JCB starter buttons" any good

chrisg - 10/1/04 at 12:44 AM

Are you sure they weren't chapel hat pegs or scammel wheel nuts

LOL

Cheers

Chris

(Or pigmys cocks)

donut - 10/1/04 at 08:21 AM

Right you lot!!! i now have a starter for my car so you can all stop taking the piss.... i mean you would NEVER catch ME taking the wee out of you lot would you!?!?!?!?

And here it is:

Andy

[Edited on 10/1/04 by donut]

bob - 10/1/04 at 10:21 AM

Andy

Same as mine,i've also got a toggle switch for cut off with a red flip cover over the top. Premier wiring systems supplied and only a few £ too,i think jasper and hicost have the same so no shortage of wiring info for your electrician.
Says bob who sat in garage nearly in tears till conrod came round and sorted me lights out,it happens top us all at some point mate

brianm - 11/1/04 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
When the time came I quite fancied getting a red button off an old arcade machine, or second best, a new equivalent.

Available from CPC.co.uk - They also hava a nice looking, waterproof to IP65, stainless steel pushbutton under part no. SW01049 for £5.98 . Only rated at 50mA though, so appropriate relay needed.

greggors84 - 12/1/04 at 05:28 PM

I was planning to do away with my original barrel, so would lose the steering lock. I am planning to have a fuel cut off switch with removable key. Would this do as the anti theft device.

Also the steering wheel lock needs the original sierra wheel to work as the lock goes in little slots on the back of the wheel and i am planning to use a different wheel.

donut - 12/1/04 at 05:33 PM

Something i have considered is a tap in the fuel line to cut of the fuel. This could easily be done at a show where the car will be left for a number of hours. This way if the car does get stolen they won't get far!!

Whether it will be considered as an anti theft device i'm not sure.

Andy

zetec - 13/1/04 at 04:01 AM

The steering lock works with any steering wheel you fit, at least it does on mine.

Peteff - 13/1/04 at 09:59 AM

I got a boss from Halfords and the steering lock works with that. It has a notch in the straight ahead position for the lock to engage with. Make sure the lock is disengaged when you fit the wheel or it won't go on.

yours, Pete.

Graceland - 14/1/04 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alister667
To answer your original question I used one of these. I bought it from Europa for about 7 quid I think.

also avalable on the upper deck of any bus might have to borrow one from work, i'm sure i got some kicking about somewhere. hehehe

flyingkiwi - 15/1/04 at 09:18 AM

i remember reading somewhere that fuel cut off lines are frowned apon, as the would be thief could start the car and drive off only to run out of fuel in a dangerous area. Personally I could care less if the little poo got run over by a truck (see truck vs bloke post!) but you would place yourself in a sueable situation if some innocent person got splattered as well.

Was going to explore the possiblility of using a solenoid to do the steering wheel lock, so I can have my hidden starter button and the ignition barrel on the dash, maybe using a battery cut off switch hidden under the dash, plus some steel spike's under the seat so if some prick does nick it he gets the rogering of his life!

PioneerX - 15/1/04 at 09:34 AM

I would be interesting in finding out if you actaully NEED the steering lock.

I have an Injection (Vx) engine and was planning to loose the ignition barrel completely and immobilise the engine by interupting the power feed to the engine bay loom. what do you think??

Simon

theconrodkid - 15/1/04 at 10:41 AM

you need an anti theft device as well as a key type start,ive got a home made crook lock thingy,can get some baseball bat style krooklocks as well,mail me if you want one,come in handy for teaching the little shites a lesson

mackie - 15/1/04 at 10:57 AM

Would my parent's next door neighbour count as an anti-theft device? He's punched the lights out of several jokers trying to nick his car from outside his house while he popped in for something. My mum saw him dive in through the passenger side and literally punch the kid out of the drivers side of the car, was quite a sight apparently

flyingkiwi - 15/1/04 at 10:58 AM

I would have to re-read the sva manual but I'm sure you need a mechanical anti thieft device along with an electrical one.

someone out there will be able to confirm if this is right!

scotlad - 15/1/04 at 05:23 PM

so....... i know im a bit thick but does that mean i could get away with an ignition key as electric isol and steering lock for anti theft for passing sva??? been worrying a bit about this

Chris_R - 11/7/04 at 09:26 AM

Does anyone have a circuit diagram showing how a start switch should be wired in? I, like the majority, am using a sierra column.

Cheers,

Chris