Board logo

fog lights
davidinhull - 14/10/08 at 08:18 AM

Hi
for long and complicated reasons, I don't have a fog light. On a daily basis this doesn't worry me as if I end up out in fog I'll have made a large error of judgment, however come MOT day this will be a problem.
Mounting a fog light asymetrically will spoil my already not very pretty rear profile (the car not me)
What I want to do is change my centre high line brake light to a fog light, wired to an illuminated toggle switch for the telltale and disconected from the brakes on MOT day - as it can't be both. but used as a brake light the rest of the year. Is this sensible, and whats the difference between a brake light and a fog light?

Humbug - 14/10/08 at 08:28 AM

Fog lights have different reflector brightness and beam spred (I think) from brake lights.Having said that, I think that if you have a red light with the right strength of bulb it should be OK for MOT purposes - when I had an Austin Healey replica I replaced the modern square fog lamp with a red Land Rover type lamp with a fog light bulb in it and that passed.

Alternatively, could you put the wiring in for the fog light ending in a plug so you can disconnect it, then put a fog light on a detachable L-shaped bracket fixed under the rear rail? Then, between MOTs you could just unbolt it.

adithorp - 14/10/08 at 08:32 AM

Although both brake and fog use the same wattage bulbs (21w) the fog lights have a narrower, more intence beam due to thier reflector shape.

High level brake position could also be above the max height for a fog (1000mm).

MOT tester might not spot either of these though. I'd want a fog though as I wouldn't want to be slammed from behind when I did make..."a large error of judgment". Would you not fit seat belts because you don't plan to have an accident?

adrian

JimSpencer - 14/10/08 at 11:57 AM

Hi

Not on a Q plate by any chance?

As they don't need a fog light at all.
- probably pointing out the obvious but thought it worth a mention

davidinhull - 14/10/08 at 12:25 PM

Tis indeed a Q plate, and presumably is how it's passed previous MOT's without one, but the MOT station told me I need one!!
(I still intend not to be out in the fog or even rain if I can avoid it - I'm a coward)
The centre brake light is below 1000mm, but if I drop the fog light off the back I tink it's too low (whether legally or just to get over speed bumps)
I might just permanently swap the centre brake light for a fog light

JimSpencer - 14/10/08 at 12:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davidinhull
Tis indeed a Q plate, and presumably is how it's passed previous MOT's without one, but the MOT station told me I need one!

Well they're definatly wrong - not required for an MOT on a Q plated car.
I would go back and ask them to check - quicker than doing a modification?

[Edited on 14/10/08 by JimSpencer]

davidinhull - 14/10/08 at 01:50 PM

certainly will be quicker and easier
just thinking about the suggestions above that I might be safer with one

thanks for the info

davidinhull - 14/10/08 at 04:12 PM

Had a word with the MOT station, (bear in mind the testers wife works for me, and I know him quite well so trust them more than ewalking into a random test centre)
And after consulting his mot testers manual, couldn't find any excemptions for Q plate cars
Can you back this up with any sort of evidence?
Thanks

JimSpencer - 14/10/08 at 04:41 PM

Yup.

From the "MOT Tester's Manual" chapter on "How to use this manual":

Vehicle 'first used' dates - application of test criteria

A vehicle's 'first used' date is:
Its date of manufacture, if the vehicle was originally used without being registered in GB [e.g., an imported vehicle or ex-HM Forces vehicle),

or

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1st August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 st January 1971

Fog Lights have to be fitted to all vehicles since 1980.

As a Q is tested as being 1971 then it doesn't need a rear fog light.

But saying all this, if he's one of these 'handy to know MOT testers' might be worth letting him have his way on this one

davidinhull - 14/10/08 at 05:02 PM

Thanks

I'll have a chat with him without annoying him and see where that leads

I'll probably add a fog light anyway after all this, just curious to know the actual facts