Board logo

Motorcycle headlights
DaveFJ - 15/1/04 at 05:20 PM

maybe this is a silly question but can you fit motorcycle type headlights ?

Been looking around for something a little different and found some really nice motorbike twin ones which weren't 'too' expensive.........

twin headlights
twin headlights

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 15/1/04 by protofj]

Peteff - 15/1/04 at 07:05 PM

I don't know about the small twin street machine type lamps but we fitted some Bates' type chrome bike headlamps to a locost and they were o.k. I can't see any reason for not using them, are you thinking of 2 per side or splitting them and having one small lamp each side? That could look trick as long as you don't do too much night driving.

yours, Pete.

loafersmate - 15/1/04 at 07:07 PM

If they're E marked and you can fit them within the SVA boundaries they should be ok.

Cheers

Ben

macspeedy - 15/1/04 at 07:32 PM

they look similar to the ones i was spraffing about, chatted to gts guy and came to the conclusion that if you tested them mot style and they pass they pass?!! but obviously you still have to buy them to test them, They look similar to the ones fitted to mks blade demo car, wonder how they got on, if those are the chrome ones from gts they have e marks.

spraffing about..
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9937 Rescued attachment red indyblade nose.jpg
Rescued attachment red indyblade nose.jpg

DaveFJ - 15/1/04 at 08:29 PM

i was thinking of a pair each side - not splitting them.

they are e marked but i am not sure exactly how big they are

they do come in a rather nice carbon fibre effect though

all this would certainly push the price up though (£100 a side !!)

http://www.motorcycle-parts-and-accessories.co.uk/Motorcycl e-Headlights-HLUTRCBN.html

they do lights that appear to be very similair to the ones in the MK picture for £52 each - is that good ?

Dave

JoelP - 15/1/04 at 08:59 PM

without completely pissing on the old parade, i thought that an e mark has to be the correct e mark. So maybe make sure before you bid that it is suitable for cars and not just bikes - there maybe subtle differences about where they aim etc.

good luck though, they do look pretty cool!

macspeedy - 15/1/04 at 10:09 PM

gts do them for 37 for black each and 42 for chrome each black not e marked chrome is e marked

http://www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk/

the small black plastic ones are the best value at 25 per pair from premier wiring but not available at the moment (spring) mac 1 motorsport do a 5 3/4 for 35 per pair, i might go for them would prefer to buy gts's black lights for there shape..

JoelP - 15/1/04 at 10:44 PM

darren told me a while ago that, in his own words, 'i was reliably informed that the chrome ones may not be compliant even though they are e marked'.

hopefully if he reads this post he can update us? he recommended getting some crappy ones for SVA simplicity. Still, i dont care how crappy myself i just want cheap compliant lights!!!

MK9R - 16/1/04 at 08:42 AM

S-V-C do them for £80 a pair (chrome). I was thinking of using 2 per side, but after measuring up you would have to have them mounted above the cycle wings as there isn't enough room to squeeze them inbetween the wheel and nosecone when the wheels are turned

Peteff - 16/1/04 at 10:34 AM

They don't have to be E marked, just perform and conform to the E mark standard. Do they have a sidelight facility? They might need mounting higher or centrally with the wheel to overcome clearance problems.

yours, Pete.

Spyderman - 16/1/04 at 02:04 PM

How about mounting them verticaly?
Would need to be rotated in their bezels fist though!
Wouldn't only the Dip beam need to comply with the position requirements if mounted together?

Terry

macspeedy - 16/1/04 at 05:54 PM

i chatted to him he recons that the e then the number is for a european country...

DaveFJ - 16/1/04 at 07:50 PM

Made an enquiry with the company - apparently the lights are only 3.5" diameter....

so possibly I could fit the twin light set up. I think the single light (also 3.5" would look a little odd though.....

Gonna try a little photo shoppery later to see how they 'look'

Dave

[Edited on 16/1/04 by protofj]

wambiker - 16/1/04 at 11:09 PM

Try m&p accessories, they have usually stock them. The bigger chrome ones we have used on a couple of bikes and have had no mot probs , but then they don't look for e-marks.

DaveFJ - 17/1/04 at 06:40 PM

well did a little 'photoshoppery last night - alright it isn't exactly photo realistic and the car is a Tiger 6 not an Avon but it gives an idea.....

Twin6
Twin6

Opinions ?

Dave

Northy - 17/1/04 at 10:20 PM

I think that looks 'kin cool!

I want some.

kingr - 17/1/04 at 11:58 PM

Seconded, that looks cool. Looks a pretty nice looking car regardless of the lights, I thought I'd never say that about a tiger!

Kingr

MK9R - 19/1/04 at 08:03 AM

i doubt you will be able to get full lock looking at that

DaveFJ - 19/1/04 at 10:00 AM

Thanks to a post from another avon builder elsewhere this morining i have been able to get hold of this image and (very roughly) sketch in the lamps TO SCALE

so this how big they should really look

scale lamps
scale lamps

What do we think about clearance now ?

Cheers

Dave

Mk-Ninja - 19/1/04 at 10:50 AM

Looks good, Ive got to make my mind up as well about lights, I quite fancied the square ones similar to the Dax. But cant seem to find any. So this looks to be next best thing. Keep us posted.

Gordon

MK9R - 19/1/04 at 10:57 AM

we fancy the dax ones aswell, but as you say we can't get them, so we are looking at making some from fibre glass and using maestro van or allegro lamp units. You can get fibre glass plastic chromed, so will also be looking into this.

[Edited on 19/1/04 by MK9R]

DaveFJ - 19/1/04 at 11:03 AM

The same site i have been looking at ( see previous post) has rectangular headlights fairly cheap, they might need you to fabricate a pretty 'back' though.....

Mk-Ninja - 19/1/04 at 11:07 AM

Austen, Keep us posted on that, if the chrome is a non starter then it would look OK in body colour.
Your going to have yourself quite a little bussiness producing bits and pieces

Gordon

MK9R - 19/1/04 at 11:11 AM

JoelP - 19/1/04 at 11:25 AM

i took some round headlights out of a polo, they would be useable if i could make a cone to put then in. might have a go at that sometime!

MK9R - 19/1/04 at 11:29 AM

i took the hole out of a polo, but it was bloody useless!!

JoelP - 19/1/04 at 11:40 AM

on a slightly different tack, an old friend tried making a menthol cig out of a b&h and a packet of polos. nearly swallowed the damn thing! sucked it into his mouth by accident...

no help there then

AvonBelgium - 19/1/04 at 10:48 PM

Square DAX headlights are from a late Citroen 2 pk.

ady8077 - 19/1/04 at 11:06 PM

Hi Dave

I'm a bit late into the chat but they look like the headlight fitted to the Malone Skunk, they fit them both ways, have a look at http://www.malonecar.com/

Hope this helps

Adrian

MK9R - 20/1/04 at 07:49 AM

Hvae you tried to get the citreon lights??? The words poo, horse and rocking spring to mind

Mk-Ninja - 20/1/04 at 08:33 AM

I can echo that Ive tried all the citreon spares places. even went to the NEC auto jumble last weekend and spoke to the sellers down there. They recon theres more chance of Nelson finding his eye.
The other option is Dax but there out of stock and I'd have to double my mortgage.

AvonBelgium - 20/1/04 at 08:55 AM

In Belgium there is no problem to find these.
Try this link http://interactief.2cv.nl/

Mk-Ninja - 20/1/04 at 09:31 AM

AvonBelgium. Thanks for the link but unfortunatly by Belgium is slightly worse than my English.
(ie non existant). Could you have a look to see the price for a pair of citreon 2cv square type headlight assemblies. Do you think they would ship to England.

Thanks Gordon

Mk-Ninja - 20/1/04 at 09:33 AM

Just thought of a problem. The dip will be the wrong way for the UK., unless they do a uk version

MK9R - 20/1/04 at 09:52 AM

Aren't the lights off a diana rather than a 2cv?? I would be very interested in getting a set.

Mk-Ninja - 20/1/04 at 10:03 AM

I think they must have fitted them to both the diana and the 2cv at some stage. I was told that they fitted them just for specific years.

Gordon

eddymcclements - 21/1/04 at 12:13 AM

The 1979 2CV had rectangular headlights (don't ask me how I know - it's too embarassing!), but the Dyane had lights built into the front wings so they're no good.

Eddy

Steve @ sVc - 26/1/04 at 09:28 AM

Hi - I'm Steve Taylor from sVc - Stafford Vehicle Components.
We make 7" & 5 3/4" freestanding headlights.
I have been looking for smaller lenses that are SVA compliant for some 3 years. Each time a supplier visits I ask them to search for such a lens unit. No luck so far - unless you are working on a motor cycle!
Motorbike lights that move with the front wheel steering dip down centrally - not to the left or right. To check, look at the lens & see if the pattern is symmetrical. These should not pass SVA or Mot.
A challenge – If anybody can find a lens, smaller than 5 ¾, with main beam, dip and side lights Left dipping & Road legal,we will tool a housing for it.

The GTS lights were on show at Exeter last November as “E marked". They are, but it’s a German spec and for motorbikes.

I have seen a number of track cars with smaller lights, some of which are driven on the roads, however we sold a pair of 5 ¾ lights to a customer recently after his Mot tester told him his smaller light were not legal and could invalidate his insurance!
Hope this helps
Regards
Steve @ sVc

Mk-Ninja - 26/1/04 at 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info Steve. What about the posibility of sourcing a Rectangular light as were fitted to the 2CV.

Thanks Gordon

Steve @ sVc - 26/1/04 at 03:44 PM

Gordon,
The 2CV lights are getting very scarce, but are available - generally from scrap-yards.
The ones I have seen are designed to use a VERY strange UEC bulb. These were introduced by French companies after an international meeting of car makers and light makers had agreed on a new bulb range - now known as the H!, H4 & H7 types. Some “Continental” companies went home and designed the UEC type. This is not available in halogen so the light output is poor. Lenses are getting difficult, as the 2CV is not generally used now except to be made into any of a range of 3 & 4 wheeled kit cars.
If you want square light – and they are nice on the front of a 7, this could be a way to go. However it will look – to those who know, like 2CV lights!
We do not offer square lights as out brass bodies are made by pressing & spinning – difficult to do if not round.
Dax used a Renault lens for their square lights, but those are difficult to source now.

Regards

Steve @ sVc

Mk-Ninja - 26/1/04 at 05:11 PM

Thanks Steve, I have tried various suppliers for 2CVs to no availe. I would like to put Square / Rectangular lights on the front, as you say they do look right. If you read the thread above you will see that Austen is thretening to make some, but if he dosnt Im sure it would be quite a lucrative business, Ive spoken to quite a few people who have all said they would like them if you could find them.

Speak to you soon Gordon

DaveFJ - 27/1/04 at 09:19 AM

Steve @sVc

have looked at the link to the 'Malone Skunk' ?

very small lights....

I have been trying to contact the company to find out where they source them but have had no reply yet

you may have more luck....

And if you ever do find a supplier i will be at the front of the que....

Cheers

Dave

timf - 27/1/04 at 09:26 AM

small square lights

look at mk1 fiesta and make a backing bowl for it ?

locoboy - 27/1/04 at 02:31 PM

give me an hour or so and i may have something for those rectangular light lovers out there.

Just going out to our other site but making a minor detour en route!

locoboy - 27/1/04 at 04:38 PM

here we go, anyone interested, got the numbers off the lense at home.

the availablility on the shells should be reasonable, im led to beleive they are 2cv lights? not sure though.
Headlight front
Headlight front

headlight below
headlight below

Headlight and cover above
Headlight and cover above

[Edited on 27/1/04 by colmaccoll]

Mk-Ninja - 28/1/04 at 10:16 AM

Looks promising. Send me some details please.

Gordon

MK9R - 28/1/04 at 10:31 AM

How many sets of these have you got??

Mk-Ninja - 28/1/04 at 10:37 AM

Col you have U2U

Steve @ sVc - 28/1/04 at 02:04 PM

protofj
Skunk - yes I've spoken to them a number of times at the Exeter show. Incidentley I've seen the cars in the USA & they have the very same lights there!

They are under bumper fog lights. When I chatted with them , 3 wheelers didn't go thru SVA and they were Moted as Trikes, so it was a very grey area.
This type of light has been tried on track cars (4 wheels!) and has lead to failure @ SVA at least 3 times that we know of - we supplied the replacement lights.

macspeedy - 1/2/04 at 11:08 PM

I asked ultralite a while ago and was redirected to there supplier pilot lighting as you said it is a grey area but maybe someone on here can shed some 'light' on these

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2ae4.htm

Steve @ sVc - 2/2/04 at 04:37 PM

macspeedy
The pilot lights shown are "driving lights" so may be OK for main beam, but as they have a single fil. H3 bulb, they wont do dip beam.
The lens is marked E11 - this is the uk testing mark.
Regards
Steve @ sVc

DaveFJ - 2/2/04 at 04:40 PM

Steve - the site does have some interesting 'proper' rectangular headlights though that look interesting - would just need a rear casing.......

macspeedy - 2/2/04 at 05:46 PM

another site that has square lights is
http://www.holden.co.uk/
bit pricey though

Steve @ sVc - 3/2/04 at 05:51 PM

Dave
Source of square headlights doesn't present a prob. However what to put them in?
All our lights are round as
1/. Lenses are easly available and cost effective.
2/. Light bodies are pressed and the undercut spun.
Dax had fibre glass - hand lay-up square housings. Lenses were from Renault - the 12 I think & seem to be obsolete now.

Steve @ sVc

macspeedy - 3/2/04 at 06:47 PM

I am looking for a pair of headlights round 5" ish in black what is your best price? sVc

MK9R - 4/2/04 at 08:10 AM

where can i get some square headlights units?? We will definetly be making some shells, but finding a suitable supplier for the actual lights are our problem. We were going to use maestro van lights, but these are very hard to get hold of now.

[Edited on 4/2/04 by MK9R]

Mk-Ninja - 4/2/04 at 10:11 AM

Austen, what about Mk1 Fiesta they should be available and reasonably priced.

Gordon

MK9R - 4/2/04 at 10:30 AM

I don't think they are quite rectangular

MK9R - 4/2/04 at 10:45 AM

Got it, metro lights from the real basic models

[Edited on 4/2/04 by MK9R]

Mk-Ninja - 4/2/04 at 10:55 AM

Yes see what you mean about the Fiesta, could have sworn they were square.

I cant get your link to work, Ill keep trying for a picture of the metro. because I thought they sloped with the front grill.

Gordon

MK9R - 4/2/04 at 10:58 AM

The lower spec ones had recessed lights, where as the "sportier" models had the sloping lights

MK9R - 4/2/04 at 11:02 AM

Just realised they haven't got side lights built into them

Can you get indicators/sidelight pods??

Mk-Ninja - 4/2/04 at 11:02 AM

Found it.

Yes they look good.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/images/lc8pub_02.jpg

Gordon

Mk-Ninja - 4/2/04 at 11:03 AM

You can put the side lights on a front bar like DAX then you can mount the headlights lower.

Gordon

ady8077 - 4/2/04 at 05:50 PM

Hi another source of square headlight?

Adrian Rescued attachment hilux.jpg
Rescued attachment hilux.jpg

Steve @ sVc - 4/2/04 at 05:52 PM

macspeedy
5 3/4" lights - bodies made in brass - black powder coated or chrome plated.
H4 halogen or Xenon upgrade bulbs.
Call me on 08 456 581 251
away @ a show in Belgium from Thurs evening - seemed a good idea at the time

steve @ sVc

macspeedy - 4/2/04 at 08:00 PM

ok will do, will be a week or 3

[Edited on 4/2/04 by macspeedy]

MK9R - 5/2/04 at 06:57 AM

Adrian,

is that a toyota hilux??

ady8077 - 5/2/04 at 05:11 PM

HI

Yes it is, i was parked next to one yesterday and thought of this discusion.

Also does anyone know if the old BMW 3 series headlights could be adapted? there only about 4" dia

Adrian

ady8077 - 5/2/04 at 05:40 PM

HI

Yes it is, i was parked next to one yesterday and thought of this discusion.

Also does anyone know if the old BMW 3 series headlights could be adapted? there only about 4" dia

Adrian

ned - 6/2/04 at 09:49 AM

I saw a picture of an Ultima yesterday, which have small diameter headlights. Are these available as inidividual units (not necessarily from ultima as they's be expensive!) or are they a produced sealed unit?

just a thought...

Ned.

DaveFJ - 6/2/04 at 02:32 PM

Have found a cheaper supplier of the said twin headlamp arrangement. still waiting for confirmation as to whether they dip to the side or not......

http://www.mandp.co.uk/

Part No 500393 - £62.69inc

DaveFJ - 6/2/04 at 03:17 PM

Just been talking to a guy from Hella and he suggested that i look at their special range...

part No. 1K0 008 191-007

these are 90mm lights and i am sure those plastic mounting lugs could be cut off in order to mount them in a suitable case. Obviously you would need seperate main beam and dipped units - but that is exactly what I want. the addition of a small sidelight would be a simple measure
The dipped beam version is available as a xenon unit

As these are already original equipment on several cars they should be fine for SVA....

[Edited on 6/2/04 by protofj]

DaveFJ - 6/2/04 at 04:10 PM

A quick bit of photoshoppery has rendered this.... Nice? - I think so
posslights
posslights

getting someone to make the chromed shells would be interesting....

the whole assembly should only be about 7.5" wide

the main light on the right is a xenon dipped unit and the left is a halogen main beam. the small side light is 'made up' but this should be fairly easy to do...

So what do you reckon SVC ????

[Edited on 6/2/04 by protofj]

brianm - 8/2/04 at 02:32 PM

quote:

The E30 headlights are 5 1/4 " dia. The main and dip units are completely seperate and mounted on a plastic frame by their three respective adjusters. The dip beam projector units themselves are self contained and removable, but would then have no protective front glass of course. The 'reflector' on the dip beam units is just for the parking lamps and to match the main beams in appearance.

ady8077 - 10/2/04 at 10:47 PM

Hi Brianm

Soz for the duff info, I could have swore the BMW headlights were smaller

Adrian

Steve @ sVc - 11/2/04 at 01:51 PM

The Hella 90 mm headlights are used on many track cars having built-in lights.
The dip light is longer than the main beam and can be adjusted to dip to the left or the right - ok for your trips to Le Mans.
Main beam available with - or without side lights.
Stocked by sVc and supplied by us to many car building companies.
You could even go for the High Intensity Discharge Main Beams - cant use HID dips in "7"s as auto beam adjustment or self leveling suspension is needed by law.
Lugs on the case outside are part of the metal moulding.
Best regards
Steve @ sVc

Kelvin - 11/2/04 at 07:54 PM

Just a shame they're nearly 100 quid a pair! Just what I need for my MK1 MR2 conversions.

BTW, there's another source of square headlights, the MK1 MR2

Kelvin

MK9R - 3/3/04 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by protofj
Have found a cheaper supplier of the said twin headlamp arrangement. still waiting for confirmation as to whether they dip to the side or not......

http://www.mandp.co.uk/

Part No 500393 - £62.69inc

Did you ever get an answer??

[Edited on 3/3/04 by MK9R]