Board logo

The 'first' Haynes Roadster? - where is it?
jps - 23/8/16 at 07:30 AM

I'm off on holiday to Dorset - and an toying with visiting the Haynes Motor Museum. Which made me wonder - is that where the 'original' Haynes Roadster is now? If not - does anyone know where it is (was it even finished in fact - or was it just prepped for the photos in the book?)

joneh - 23/8/16 at 07:49 AM

It was finished, or at least it looked complete when I saw it at Stoneleigh. I thought Chris was a member on here but I seem to recall him being banned...?

loggyboy - 23/8/16 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh
It was finished, or at least it looked complete when I saw it at Stoneleigh. I thought Chris was a member on here but I seem to recall him being banned...?

Chris had a stroke in 2010 and from what I last read some years go can no longer use a computer.

joneh - 23/8/16 at 10:09 AM

Ah that's a shame and I'm sorry to hear that.

I looked up some of his old posts, there's a signature been added showing he was banned for annoying the moderators via u2u. Assuming he was chrisg.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Chris had a stroke in 2010 and from what I last read some years go can no longer use a computer.

jps - 23/8/16 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Ah that's a shame and I'm sorry to hear that.

I looked up some of his old posts, there's a signature been added showing he was banned for annoying the moderators via u2u. Assuming he was chrisg.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Yes - I think he was chrisg - yes, seems there was a falling out at some point, I too had seen things mentioning he had become too ill to do anything car related - sounds like a sad outcome all round really.

I got the impression that MK were involved in the production of the book, and think (but could of course be wrong) that MK produced a car at some point which is/was the same as a Haynes Roadster too? This is why I wondered whether the 'book' Haynes Roadster photos were really of either several cars, at differing stages of build, or a car that was never really 'finished' because it was done for the book pics and then changed/rebuilt afterwards...

Would still be interested to know if yellow/red car in the Book is in the Haynes Museum (or somewhere else that it can be seen...)?

AdrianH - 23/8/16 at 11:26 AM

Perhaps if you ask on the Haynes forum, if member, if not I think there is a long winded way to get on, there is also another forum on the Haynes kit car that was started years ago http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/

Not sure how active that was, it all got a bit daft on the posts back then so I ditched it and stayed on here.

My only claim to fame was mine was the first to pass IVA as opposed to SVA and I believe 8th on the road.

Best of luck finding it anyway, would be nice to know.

Adrian