Board logo

Passat overheating :(
McLannahan - 24/6/10 at 06:45 PM

Evening chaps - yesterday (hot day granted) I took the Passat on a drive, about 100 miles. On the way there the temp gauge crept right up - just hovering below the red mark. I put the heater on full whack and it steadily climbed down to the standard 90 deg (bang in centre of the gauge.

Did the same thing on the way back too.

Today it's done the same thing to work and back but actually into the red today on the way back. Lost power going up an incline and the computer warned to "Stop - Workshop! Check coolant level". Pulled over and put the heater on again until the temp had cooled again.

Coolant level is fine - and cambelt was done last service (10k ago?)

I'm thinking thermostat or water pump but wondered if anyone else had any good ideas or experience or this?

Is there anything simple I can check myself? Annoyingly none of my cars work now so I'm desperate to get this sorted!

It's the 130bhp 1.9 PD 2003 Passat with 130k on the clocks.

Thanks guys

Depressed Michael

tomgregory2000 - 24/6/10 at 06:50 PM

YEP had experience of this.

Did you get the water pump changed at the same time as the cam belt? Im guessing NO as this is the same thing that happened to my old mans car and the blades had come unstuck from the spindle, it was the only time he did NOT get the water pump done at the same time as the cambelt

speedyxjs - 24/6/10 at 06:50 PM

Is the fan working?

tomgregory2000 - 24/6/10 at 06:50 PM

also it was a MK4 golf with the PD engine fitted

and that was up to 250,000 miles

[Edited on 24/6/10 by tomgregory2000]

McLannahan - 24/6/10 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
YEP had experience of this.

Did you get the water pump changed at the same time as the cam belt? Im guessing NO as this is the same thing that happened to my old mans car and the blades had come unstuck from the spindle, it was the only time he did NOT get the water pump done at the same time as the cambelt

I don't think it was....Normally think to ask to have it done but just didn't think this time. Crap. Looks like same money to have the water pump fitted as a new fricking cambelt....

Speedy - I believe so. Looks like it's fine but not under load, was going up hill on the way home that saw it finally climb into the red.

Thanks guys.

Danozeman - 24/6/10 at 07:33 PM

My odds are water pump too. They are common on PD's for the impellor to come off.

DRC INDY 7 - 24/6/10 at 07:44 PM

it will be the water pump impellor has come loose i have done many of them its comon

McLannahan - 24/6/10 at 08:14 PM

Thanks guys.

bassett - 24/6/10 at 09:12 PM

does sound like the common chocolate waterpump issue but these cars also have coolant sensor issues as there were some updated sensors made either green or black

vinny1275 - 25/6/10 at 08:10 AM

McLannahan - it's not too bad to get the cam belt off on these - the Haynes manual procedure is spot on. I've got the locking tools and some threaded bar for holding the front bumper bar on that you could borrow if you wanted to have a bash yourself and save some labour costs..... The water pump is about 40 quid from GSF - I changed mine when I did the cambelt a little while back.

Cheers

Vince

McLannahan - 25/6/10 at 08:21 AM

Thanks for that Vince, really appreciate the offer but - the CV has also now gone and he needs a service too! Gave in and limped into the garage this morning.

Option 1 - Sell kidneys to fund payment.

Option 2 - Steal the car back with the spare key....

Encouraging news about the water pump though - expected quite a bit more than that.

Thanks again Vince - much appreciated

McLannahan - 25/6/10 at 04:50 PM

Update:

Yup, new water pump needed. Also changing the cambelt (again!) and doing the thermostat, CV joint and service too.

Presently selling vital body parts to raise the funds...

Thanks for all the help guys

Michael