Board logo

Top Gear
hicost - 11/7/10 at 11:15 AM

So just my thoughts here.

Lets say Top Gear had to replace Jeremy Clarkson who would you say would make a good replacement.

I have thought about it a few times this week. I came up with Jake Humphrey!!

What do you think, I think he could get on well with May not sure about little legs though.

scootz - 11/7/10 at 11:19 AM

Ditch Clarkson and Hammond, and have May joined by Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry!

hicost - 11/7/10 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Ditch Clarkson and Hammond, and have May joined by Rowan Atkinson and Stephen Fry!

I like both of them but that would become to much "beard scrating" and not enough go.

speedyxjs - 11/7/10 at 11:28 AM

I like the idea of having Rowan atkinson on TG.

scootz - 11/7/10 at 11:34 AM

I don't think Rowan would be doing much beard-scratching... he's a bona-fide petrolhead!

hicost - 11/7/10 at 11:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I don't think Rowan would be doing much beard-scratching... he's a bona-fide petrolhead!

I agree he is, loves his cars and racing, but he is stereotyped and you will find it difficult to have someone bigger than the show. If you see what im saying.

Minicooper - 11/7/10 at 11:59 AM

Or how about cancelling the whole show, it's utter tripe

Cheers
David

Jasongray5 - 11/7/10 at 12:00 PM

Patrick Keilty (however you spell it)

dave-69isit - 11/7/10 at 12:04 PM

mr atkinson is the same as jezza he hates reliant regals pigs of any sorts lol

StevieB - 11/7/10 at 03:37 PM

Kevin McLoed (however it's spelt) from Grand Designs.

Replace Hammond with Martin Brundle (but he still has to do F1 as well - no good leaving Leggard on his own!).

Alternative would be to put 3 actual good actors in place so the staged and scripted 'stunts' are actually executed with an ounce of believability.

[Edited on 11/7/10 by StevieB]

iscmatt - 11/7/10 at 03:43 PM

I would get Jamaroqui on to replce him, though for me Top gear wouldn't be the same without clarkson. Perhaps Quinton Wilson for the old skool effect!

bob - 11/7/10 at 04:24 PM

Jake is a good shout, he made the transition fron childrens TV to sports presenting look pretty easy the BBC get lucky like that sometimes. Lets not overkill him though,i think he does well on the F1 show and hope he stays there for a while.

Replacement for clarkson, i would think his old mate steve coogan would work.

fesycresy - 11/7/10 at 04:55 PM

I like the Jake idea.

Although the show needs a fit woman, the new one on Sky would be good.

Hammond has lost his appeal, maybe put him in the next car to be destroyed, see if the little bugger survives another

mangogrooveworkshop - 11/7/10 at 05:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
I like the Jake idea.

Hammond has lost his appeal, maybe put him in the next car to be destroyed, see if the little bugger survives another

[Edited on 11-7-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Litemoth - 11/7/10 at 05:09 PM

Bring back Wooly Willy (William Woollard) -he can't be any naffer than The Jeremy Clarkson Show - pretending he can drive fast and tricking the dimmer among us into believeing they are taking part in real challenges.

While I'm on my hobby-horse, I bored stiff hearing about Astons, Jags and Ford derived cars that someone's been bunged a wad to promote or cars that the three presenters can afford to buy (and do) but none of us viewers can...

Here he is (for the youngsters)

LINKY

fesycresy - 11/7/10 at 05:19 PM

Mango, I can see where you are coming from, but her voice grates me

So, I'll raise your Sabine with my Danica

danica patrick
danica patrick

dazzx10r - 11/7/10 at 05:25 PM

Jaykay and Sabine get's my vote!

TimC - 11/7/10 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Mango, I can see where you are coming from, but her voice grates me

So, I'll raise your Sabine with my Danica

danica patrick
danica patrick

Gulp; lush.

graememk - 11/7/10 at 06:52 PM

this bird
this bird

andrew.carwithen - 11/7/10 at 07:11 PM

Why not get three fit buurrds in and call it Topless Gear!!
Driving challenges could include parallel parking without having to catch a taxi to the curb afterwards, and seeing who can resist the urge longest to check their hair and lippy in the mirror whilst waiting at the lights!! :

mrwibble - 11/7/10 at 08:16 PM

i vote emu and post man pat

JoelP - 11/7/10 at 08:28 PM

hammond needs to go, he's a nice enough chump but his character is too dumb. Clarkson can be annoying, and does talk crap at times, but his 'character' is more entertaining.

May is good enough that he doesnt appear to be acting.

So id say Clarkson, May and a different guest petrolhead every week. Including Tiff!

hicost - 11/7/10 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
quote:
I like the Jake idea.

[Edited on 11-7-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

Well thats moved on a bit from May, Atkinson and Fry

It will be intresting to see who does replace him if he did go though.

I believe he probably is the show, and it will die a slow death if he did.

hicost - 11/7/10 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bob
Jake is a good shout, he made the transition fron childrens TV to sports presenting look pretty easy the BBC get lucky like that sometimes. Lets not overkill him though,i think he does well on the F1 show and hope he stays there for a while.

Replacement for clarkson, i would think his old mate steve coogan would work.

I agree Bob, he is not ready yet, still a little short on the quick reply one liners and lacks a little bit of knowledge.

But like a good wine or port he will be ready in a couple of years.

Ninehigh - 11/7/10 at 11:16 PM

If Steven Fry replaced Clarkson they'd have to rename it "Superlative Equipment"

Although I can see Mr Fry in yet another Aston growling "Powerrrr!"

morcus - 12/7/10 at 01:18 AM

Have you ever heard Danica Patricka (Or whatever her surname actually is) talk? or even seen what she's said written down?

Clarkson is Topgear, I believe he actually part owns it in some way. I don't think it would really work with out him.

I'm up for the Ditch Hammond but I reckon they should bring in Ed China and throw in some segment about actual car ownership.

Regardless of how any of us feel, TG is the most watched program on BBC2 and the Magazine was the best selling mens mag in the UK so perhaps the real answer is to make Superlative Equipment as a seperate show and put it on BBC4?

JoelP - 12/7/10 at 06:14 AM

is ed china the guy off wheeler dealers?

jabbahutt - 12/7/10 at 06:42 AM

What about replacing Hamster with Mark Evans off the "is born" programs. He's really entertaining to watch and is decent midway between May & Clarkson's style of humour and presenting.

zilspeed - 12/7/10 at 07:27 AM

i would change nothing.

At all.

Ninehigh - 12/7/10 at 08:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
is ed china the guy off wheeler dealers?

The mechanic yeah

morcus - 12/7/10 at 05:28 PM

Ed China was in an episode of series one of current format Top Gear, he built them the Bond Car on a Budget. I believe he was on old format topgear aswell with one of his sofas (He was and might still be the sofa Landspeed record holder).