Board logo

Transporting a car across town.
morcus - 24/8/10 at 07:19 PM

I need to move an XJ6 from here in Singleton to Shadoxhurst within the next couple of weeks. Its got no tax MOT or insurance so I cant drive it across.

Can anyone recomend any one for the job or with the time and equipment (I'd be willing to pay of course) to help me out.

zilspeed - 24/8/10 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I need to move an XJ6 from here in Singleton to Shadoxhurst within the next couple of weeks. Its got no tax MOT or insurance so I cant drive it across.

Can anyone recomend any one for the job or with the time and equipment (I'd be willing to pay of course) to help me out.

Your local scrappy should be able to help out.

Ben_Copeland - 24/8/10 at 07:26 PM

I could lend you my A frame mate... then you can "recover" it to a safe place. if you have a tow bar. Otherwise i can tow it for you.

Not strictly legal mind.

GMPMotorsport - 24/8/10 at 07:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
I could lend you my A frame mate... then you can "recover" it to a safe place. if you have a tow bar. Otherwise i can tow it for you.

Not strictly legal mind.

Thats ok until you meet up with PC Plod!!!

Ben_Copeland - 24/8/10 at 07:30 PM

Book it into a garage for "repair" legal then

speedyxjs - 24/8/10 at 07:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Book it into a garage for "repair" legal then

Apart from the insurance.

ETA - just thought, you can get day insurance which would make it legal!

[Edited on 24-8-10 by speedyxjs]

morcus - 24/8/10 at 07:38 PM

I'd still need to get an MOT to use day insurance. So it would be a waste of time and money as I'd have to go via an MOT garage.

rusty nuts - 24/8/10 at 07:51 PM

Book an MOT the other side of town from where the car is ,that way you are passing your destination and insure the car for one day?

mrwibble - 24/8/10 at 08:23 PM

shiply.com just make sure u find one with good ratings.

morcus - 24/8/10 at 08:27 PM

Thanks for the sugestions and keep em coming. The day insurance could work but its still abit dodgy for my liking.

JoelP - 24/8/10 at 08:44 PM

quote:
Thanks for the sugestions and keep em coming. The day insurance could work but its still abit dodgy for my liking.

have a few pints for the nerves before you set off

Wee T - 24/8/10 at 09:16 PM

Just hire a car transporter trailer.usually around £30/day.

dhutch - 25/8/10 at 02:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wee T
Just hire a car transporter trailer.usually around £30/day.
This

dhutch - 25/8/10 at 02:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelPhave a few pints for the nerves before you set off
Or this

scoop - 25/8/10 at 08:17 AM

I cant believe for the hassle and cost involved in getting caught anyone wouldnt just hire a trailer for half a day and be done with it.

morcus - 25/8/10 at 04:26 PM

would I need a special lisense to drive a rig big enough to carry the Jag? thats my worry about renting a trailor (And I'd need to rent a car as well but thats not a big worry).

Ben_Copeland - 25/8/10 at 06:09 PM

Depends how old you are... if your 35+ you should still have the older licence so you can tow a car trailer.

morcus - 25/8/10 at 08:03 PM

I'm 23 next month.
I look on my local hire companies website (Ken Hire, My dad has used them for as long as I can remember and would recomend them to anyone) and the maximum trailer load on there trailers is 2000KG so it might not be enough.

My Dad might have found a solution though. He's got a guy who might be able to take the car on Trade plates and sort everything out. I'll report on what happens when it does.

Ninehigh - 26/8/10 at 07:56 AM

quote:

Iirc the day insurance thing needs a valid yearly policy, tax, MOT all valid