Board logo

Bike Wheel Direction and Strength...
scootz - 5/8/11 at 05:17 PM

I'd quite like to use this BMW wheel for the rear of my reverse-trike, but it's for a BMW with the shaft on the opposite side to mine, so turns clockwise, when I want anti-clockwise...

Does anyone know if running a wheel like this the opposite way to which it was intended will compromise it's strength / safety?

All educated, or uneducated, replies welcome!

mark chandler - 5/8/11 at 05:30 PM

Accelerate hard tries to twist the centre out one way, brake hard the other.

Generally you can stop faster than speed up so I cannot see it making any difference myself... as an uneducated oiks point of view

Looks fast when not even moving, thats the main thing

Mark Allanson - 5/8/11 at 05:35 PM

The direction is not a problem, unfortunately the bike wheel isn't designed to take any lateral loads, so hard cornering/drifting is where any weakness will show. On the upside, I haven't heard of any problems with Scorpions etc.

scootz - 5/8/11 at 05:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
The direction is not a problem, unfortunately the bike wheel isn't designed to take any lateral loads, so hard cornering/drifting is where any weakness will show. On the upside, I haven't heard of any problems with Scorpions etc.

Yup... I'm generally not a fan of using a bike wheel on the back of a reverse-trike for that reason, but I can't afford a bespoke rim right now, so a bike one will have to do for now.

Mark Allanson - 5/8/11 at 09:23 PM

I real life, I don't think you will have a problem unless you slide it into a kerb, and then you would have problems in any case.

scootz - 5/8/11 at 09:28 PM

You've obviously seen my driving!

JF - 6/8/11 at 10:33 AM

Should be fine. Most bikes with sidecars still use the standard rims. They just fit a car tire on it. It isn't as strong as a car wheel in lateral, but shouldn't be a problem while driving. And your average alloy car wheel won't appreciate smashing into a curb either.