Board logo

vw bora fault
andylancaster3000 - 26/11/11 at 12:50 AM

The girlfriend has just picked me in my car up after a few jars and half way home the ABS light came on, then the air bag light, then lost dash lights. Once home the engine wouldn't restart. My prediction is a collapsed battery. Am I right? Am I overlooking anything?

MakeEverything - 26/11/11 at 12:58 AM

More to the point, Is it your fault because it wounds have happened if she wasnt picking you up?

owelly - 26/11/11 at 06:42 AM

Alternator drive belt would be my first guess but if the PAS pump is driven by the same belt, your gf would have noticed! Then check battery terminals and earth straps. Then check alternator function and finally, test battery. Unless the battery has shown signs of failing previously?
Enjoy your hangover.....

franky - 26/11/11 at 07:57 AM

My bora once did exactly the same thing with a knackered battery.

adithorp - 26/11/11 at 08:28 AM

It's more likely to be alternator related as if that fails the voltage gradually drops and things start to fail as the battery is run down. With an battery faiure you often won't know anything untill the engine won't restart, as the alt' is still supplying voltage to run everything. As well as knackered battery or alternator, alternator pulley failure is common if it's the freewheeling/ratchet type (sorry don't remember thier correct name).

andylancaster3000 - 26/11/11 at 09:15 AM

Thanks for the responses, hangover not too tragic. Will check battery this morning. Alternator what I am hoping its not but I guess also likely. The clutch pulley is a new one after the old one exited through the undertray last month so hoping it isn't this either!

adithorp - 26/11/11 at 09:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
...clutch pulley...

Thats the term I wanted...

I've seen alts' fail soon after pulleys due to debris from the pulley. I often just replace the whole thing now.

[Edited on 26/11/11 by adithorp]

stevegough - 26/11/11 at 04:55 PM

Sorry, don't see your problem - just get someone else to pick you up?