Board logo

Wacky races...class win, 2nd fastest overall and highest Vmax
nick205 - 30/6/13 at 08:19 PM

Finally finished the soap box kart at 13:55 today and made it to the start line for 14:00

Cracking day, with a class win, 2nd fastest overall (by 0.4 seconds) and highest Vmax @ 23mph.

Kart performed really well although could do with beefing up on the steering yokes (as a number in here suggested it might). I was able to bend it back after each race, but would probably have been quicker with a stiffer front end.

Mods already planned for next years race to try for the outright win.

10 minutes before the start time!

[Edited on 30/6/13 by nick205]

theconrodkid - 30/6/13 at 09:41 PM

well done

bi22le - 30/6/13 at 10:30 PM

What do you think made it so quick?

NigeEss - 1/7/13 at 12:09 AM

Good work that team

whitestu - 1/7/13 at 06:50 AM

changing those back tyres for some non off road ones ought to to worth a few tenths!

nick205 - 1/7/13 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
What do you think made it so quick?

Bearing in mind the race is in a cow field, it's bumpy so the full size wheel chair and MTB wheels are a big factor. Even those using smaller BMX wheels were considerably slower. Also having proper steering rather than a simple rotating axle setup helps a lot. I also had my ex-army, body-building brother in law as my push man, which helped

iank - 1/7/13 at 08:59 AM

Well done, you look younger than I expected in that last shot.

nick205 - 1/7/13 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
changing those back tyres for some non off road ones ought to to worth a few tenths!

You could be right.

We had the tyres pumped up very hard all round, but smoother thinner tyres could be a good option.