Board logo

Car port
b14wrc - 27/11/13 at 12:22 PM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd show some photos of my little aside project. Just finished it.

I bought a new car and wanted to protect it more, and as the locost is in the garage, I thought this was a good idea.

I'm pretty pleased with the way it's turned out......

Rob

[Edited on 27/11/13 by b14wrc]

MP3C - 27/11/13 at 12:29 PM

Be careful about the water run off, I know some neighbors can get funny about peoples rainwater discharge falling into the boundary of their property. Other than that, looks good - Where did you get the plastic corrugated sheet from? I got some from B and Q just for a temporary fix and found it to be very brittle.

Matt

b14wrc - 27/11/13 at 12:38 PM

It is from B&Q, it seems pretty good to me, is a bit brittle, and care is needed when drilling it, but using the correct screws from Screw fix it seems rigid. Where I live it is very windy so made sure its solid.

Regarding the rain water, I told the neighbours id put a gutter along the outside edge and then drain it down the slope of my drive. I have left space to fix it to the frame.

I was getting sick of the Lotus getting wet in heavy rain, don’t know why I didn’t build one years ago. The locost can now be taken out and worked on all year round if I wanted.

Might extend it by one panel yet, but it will do for the moment.

Rob

minitici - 27/11/13 at 01:27 PM

Will it stand up to the 3 foot of snow we are expecting this winter?

Daddylonglegs - 27/11/13 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici

Must admit, snow load was one of my thoughts, it's damn heavy when a few inches build up

but never the less, good job

[Edited on 27/11/13 by Daddylonglegs]

Andi - 27/11/13 at 01:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici

Mine didnt
A couple snapped, so I just put some spars half way along each span. More than the snow, it was when it turned to sludge/ice and then rained on top of it.

Andi

designer - 27/11/13 at 02:02 PM

You need a gutter.

coozer - 27/11/13 at 03:43 PM

Looks good, I'm looking for a house with the garage in the back garden to do just that.

My plan is to cover the whole side of the house, box it all in and put a sectional door on the front. I've had a little practice at the back of the garage already

Rod Ends - 27/11/13 at 05:01 PM

Am I the only one who noticed the cyborg cat?

iank - 27/11/13 at 05:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Am I the only one who noticed the cyborg cat?

Not a cyborg, just freshly charged