Board logo

Stoopid (clever) ideas wanted
richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 09:21 PM

Having watched Top Gear and saw the Best of British bit, my tastebuds are tingling for a bit of 'car' worky stuff...

I have a 97 Jaguar XJR (4.0 V8 Supercharged) and a 95 BMW 750il (5.4 V12)

The missus wants me to get rid of one. To be honest neither are worth a fortune, but I like them anyway.....

So:

Any thoughts on what car might accept one of these engines? I need a silly project, must be cheap and I don't want to twist a chassis so an Austin seven is outers.........

Thought Capri due to engine bay size, but that's a bit 'normal',,,,,any better ideas....?

I did think dolomite or even marina but that's the wine talking I guess......:-) Needs to be quite old to avoid emissions issues at MOT time.....I think less exhaust silencers just for my own gratification.

Answers/suggestions?

rusty nuts - 2/1/14 at 09:27 PM

PPC magazine mag is covering fitting the Jag lump in a Reliant Scimiter

theduck - 2/1/14 at 09:28 PM

E28 BMW?

scootz - 2/1/14 at 09:34 PM

Stick the V12 in a Z3.

LInky

theduck - 2/1/14 at 09:38 PM

Why didn't I think if the z3? I can even sell you the project car!

joneh - 2/1/14 at 09:38 PM

May be able to pick up a Pilgrim Sumo cheap now :p

mookaloid - 2/1/14 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joneh

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

I'm a bit out of the scene - what's the sumo joke?

(plus I do need a car that won't twist it's chassis)

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
PPC magazine mag is covering fitting the Jag lump in a Reliant Scimiter

Not read the latest edition yet Mel.....but my project to be will be different - I'll finish mine

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:06 PM

Z3 too modern/expensive

Nice thought though....

[Edited on 2/1/14 by richard thomas]

theduck - 2/1/14 at 10:16 PM

What's the budget?

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:26 PM

Preferably £0, but certainly less than a grand for the doner.....I'll fabricate/swap/beg/blag the rest myself.....

The lighter the car, the better....

Wonder if it would fit in a boat......

[Edited on 2/1/14 by richard thomas]

theduck - 2/1/14 at 10:35 PM

You could find a z3 for that. Would have no history but wouldn't matter, would it?

SPYDER - 2/1/14 at 10:38 PM

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
You could find a z3 for that. Would have no history but wouldn't matter, would it?

Thought they would be more....I'll have a look....

richard thomas - 2/1/14 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

It has crossed my mind

Slimy38 - 2/1/14 at 10:51 PM

How about combining one of them with a few bits off an MX5, then stick it underneath one of these;

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mev_replicar.htm

joneh - 3/1/14 at 07:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:

I'm a bit out of the scene - what's the sumo joke?

(plus I do need a car that won't twist it's chassis)

See the Stash in the Attic thread in none car chat - essentially Den Tanner had been growing things, rather than building...

trextr7monkey - 3/1/14 at 09:42 AM

2 suggestions if that iis allowed- as my user name suggesrs I have an affinity for the TR7 and. My 2 kitr 0 car would certaiNly benefit from a0lot more oomph idea 2 is. Slightly more bizarre but wel within budget and that would bé a Jago Jeep. There have been several Rover V8 transformations. As 0well as a Merc straight 6and check out Adam Cuthbert's V8 short block supercharged Chevy on you tube which used to mostly run at York raceway. I think it ran a jag back axle too Rough jagos can bé got for very little £ The illustrious Coozer on. Here is well on with his V8 monster truck which should bé a cracking vehicle
Atb
Mike

richard thomas - 3/1/14 at 09:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
How about combining one of them with a few bits off an MX5, then stick it underneath one of these;

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mev_replicar.htm

I likes that

Volvorsport - 3/1/14 at 10:17 AM

volvo 240

Doctor Derek Doctors - 3/1/14 at 08:14 PM

Stick it in a plumbers special 80's 2wd L200/Datsun/Hi-lux pick-up and spend the rest of the year doing doughnuts.

steve m - 3/1/14 at 11:39 PM

Tr 7 ???

one of the worst "sportscars ever devised ??

YUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

scootz - 4/1/14 at 11:40 AM

I bought a 2.8 Z3 with very light panel damage (needed a wing and a bonnet) that was otherwise in VGC last year and paid £800 for it.

richard thomas - 4/1/14 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I bought a 2.8 Z3 with very light panel damage (needed a wing and a bonnet) that was otherwise in VGC last year and paid £800 for it.

That sounds about right for a project....

I'll keep looking.....have considered an RX8, not sure if it will squeeze in though. I know you can fit a V8 in an RX7, but a bit different I would assume.....mind you, engine bay must be a similar size.....

scudderfish - 4/1/14 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz

How much did you sell it for?

scootz - 5/1/14 at 12:43 PM

£1200... but, I had corrected the damage and put a set of nearly new BMW 18" wheels on it.

morcus - 5/1/14 at 01:58 PM

Would the v12 fit in a hackney? or failing that minicab favourites like the omega or ford scorpio as that would make a great sleeper.