Board logo

Classic mini "Mini spares" timing belt......
anthony1 - 2/9/15 at 08:37 PM

I have just purchased a Mini 1293 "race" engine for sons Cooper S replica........it is fitted with a cam belt kit , it uses a GATES 195L075 belt , after a quick call to Minispares for a spare , I was told they were no longer made.......fit a duplex chain instead !! not really what I wanted to hear! can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier for these......they are widely still available in the USA.....but after adding postage are not at the moment a cost effective option.

ken555 - 2/9/15 at 10:51 PM

Here ?

Minicooper - 3/9/15 at 09:53 AM

This place sells the belts

http://www.shengineering.co.uk/sh/content/mini-timing-belt-kit

David

chillis - 3/9/15 at 11:15 AM

Try contacting Gates directly to see if the belt is still made, if it is they should be able to give you a list of suppliers.

MikeRJ - 3/9/15 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
This place sells the belts

http://www.shengineering.co.uk/sh/content/mini-timing-belt-kit

David

That looks like a much better thought out kit than the minispares one as it actually includes a tensioner. Since the primary advantage of the timing belt conversion was to prevent the (significant) timing scatter that a stretched chain introduces, it doesn't make much sense to leave out the main component that would effect that improvement.

A cheaper option is to fit the A Plus chain drive that includes a tensioner, and can be used in conjunction with a duplex chain (which is what I had fitted to my mini many years ago).

907 - 3/9/15 at 12:55 PM

Possibly Fenner do a compatible belt.

They have distributors all over the country. Gateshead might be near you.

Paul G

anthony1 - 3/9/15 at 03:40 PM

Many thanks for all of the replies........I have spoken to Dave at SH Engineering , what a great bloke! very helpful and knowledgeable. he has the belts available.

rusty nuts - 3/9/15 at 06:51 PM

Any decent motor factor should be able to help,