Board logo

Newbie ..... looking for advice and inspiration!
Andy WAFU - 31/8/24 at 07:34 AM

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some honest, direct advice on where to go from here.

Bit of background. 15 years or so ago I had a Robin Hood for a couple of years great fun to drive, enjoyed the tinkering but I moved location and it had to go. An opportunity arose a few weeks back to purchase a Tiger Cat “part finished” and fancied a winter project to get me back on the road for next summer. All sounds good so far. I purchased the car from the original builder who has spent many years assembling the car and, once the dust has been removed, it revealed a well planned quality build. But, and here is the issue and which after spend hours of trawling the interweb for a straight answer I thought I’d ask those in the know, I knowingly purchased the car with some paperwork irregularities. Tiger original paperwork, manual and chassis number. It came with a V5 for a Capri Auto, but that it clearly isn’t. It is fitted with a manual gearbox so can only assume that the only parts from the donor car is the running gear. Plot thickens as no Pinto in sight but a lovely 1993 2.0 zetec with twin Dellorto’s. Everything plumbed in and wiring complete and runs, needs tuning, but runs. However, since completion it has been covered for years in a garage and never been on the road. I would dearly love to get this project finished and the car to get some road time which it deserves. So the question is what’s the best route to achieving this or am I about to throw a load of time and money to reach a very frustrating end?

I realise that the V5 isn’t worth the paper it’s written on and for all intent and purpose is destined for landfill, recycled of course! Best case, assuming that there is a chance of getting this thing legal I will drop the gearbox for a 5 speed.

Anyway, I am sure that you of heard of cases like this before and would appreciate your advice and support.

Thanks in advance and although I said be direct, please not too direct

[Edited on 31/8/24 by Andy WAFU]

gremlin1234 - 31/8/24 at 09:02 AM

you should be able to get it tested [ iva ] and register as a Q plate

Schrodinger - 31/8/24 at 06:29 PM

If you need any Tiger assistance there is a Tiger group on Facebook who are quite helpful and Tiger still exist although I think they go under the ERA Banner these days. And as has already been said you should have no problem getting a Q plate.

JoelP - 31/8/24 at 08:56 PM

Sounds like that's just a v5 from an early donor car, and plans changed along the way. You do need an iva test to get road legal, but many people have managed that. Hopefully the car has been built with the test in mind and won't be too much of a nightmare!

JoelP - 31/8/24 at 09:02 PM

Whereabouts in West Yorkshire are you?

Ugg10 - 31/8/24 at 09:44 PM

As said it looks like the Capri was a donor vehicle. If you can trace the gearbox, front upright and brakes and also the rear axle and brakes to being Capri ones then you might be able to get it registered under the points system on a donor age related plate, otherwise it is a q plate. Also make sure the Capri is Sorn, simple online form to fill out.

Also, as has been said, not sure the Cat was designed to pass IVA, maybe SVA so worth downloading the manual and making sure things like dash board radii, covers over brake master cylinders, lighting spacing and position, side indicator repeaters and seat belt mounting points are compatible with IVA, the face book tiger page may be able to help.

Edit - you will also need to check the age of the Zetec, iirc the year and month of manufacture is stamped on the block. Depending on the age you will need injection and a cat (post 1997 I think) so if it is set up with carbs you may need to sort that out.

[Edited on 31/8/24 by Ugg10]