Board logo

so, have we all been out spending?
02GF74 - 1/12/08 at 01:32 PM

due to the decrease in VAT.

and has anyone notice anything cheaper? prices on ebay are the same

[Edited on 1/12/08 by 02GF74]

coozer - 1/12/08 at 01:37 PM

Not enough vote options there marra, for me theres been no change, ignoring the hype just spent all me money the same as every month. In fact still wasting it on 2 for £12 at tesco.

Brake upgrade coming up to waste a bit more...

Steve

Ben_Copeland - 1/12/08 at 01:44 PM

M6 toll receipt said 15% on it this morning, but the total was the same... 9 quid !!

Just put the pre vat price up to match So means it actually cost more cos theres less vat to claim back!!!

Mr Whippy - 1/12/08 at 02:07 PM

Strangely my mortgage has halved which came as a bit of a surprise to say the least, quite a nice thing to come back from holiday to

smart51 - 1/12/08 at 02:14 PM

Halfords have applied the new VAT, which saved me 30 new pence this lunch time. I then went to the works canteen and spent the saving on biscuits.

jabbahutt - 1/12/08 at 02:31 PM

Is there VAT on beer in a pub? went this dinner time (well okay every dinner time) and the prices have gone up 5p.

Can't see it making a bit of difference to be honest.

Nigel

iank - 1/12/08 at 02:36 PM

Nope, but I did buy some stuff at Amazon last Thursday using their LOWERVAT saving code to reduce the cost appropriately. Saved a couple of quid.

Phil.J - 1/12/08 at 02:46 PM

Things in the pound shop are still a pound!

Humbug - 1/12/08 at 03:02 PM

Things are a bit cheaper (not 2.5%, though, but 2.5/117.5 = 2.13%) but it's not enough to make me want to buy any more things.

02GF74 - 1/12/08 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J

you must have won the lotto!!! best I can aspire to is to visit the 99 p shop I suppose that should be renamed 97 and a bit p shop.

speedyxjs - 1/12/08 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phil.J

This whole drop in VAT was a stupid idea to start with. We have dropped our prices at work but the difference is pence. Its just not enough to get people spending.

graememk - 1/12/08 at 03:51 PM

would of been better giving everyone 1 month of tax free salery, that would put money back into your pockets

UncleFista - 1/12/08 at 04:03 PM

I saved 14p on a remote controlled submarine at Argos today.....

yay.

BenB - 1/12/08 at 04:07 PM

I saved about £1 buying various bits of plumbing stuff.

Of course if they wanted to be really nice to everyone they'd cancel VAT on gas and electricity. Call me silly but I don't see why I should have to pay the government for "luxury" items like gas to heat my home....

Ivan - 1/12/08 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Strangely my mortgage has halved which came as a bit of a surprise to say the least, quite a nice thing to come back from holiday to

How do you get a new job and go on holiday 2 months later?

David Jenkins - 1/12/08 at 04:26 PM

Anyone else notice the 2p extra fuel duty that sneaked in the back door today?

LINKY

iank - 1/12/08 at 04:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I saved about £1 buying various bits of plumbing stuff.

Of course if they wanted to be really nice to everyone they'd cancel VAT on gas and electricity. Call me silly but I don't see why I should have to pay the government for "luxury" items like gas to heat my home....

I thought we'd sold all our utilities to foreign companies.

iank - 1/12/08 at 04:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

LINKY

It was announced at the same time as the VAT drop - to keep the prices the same, wouldn't want people to actually get any benefit from the drop.

Of course they will be taking it back off again when they put VAT back up again... *must keep straight face*

David Jenkins - 1/12/08 at 04:41 PM

And it arrived just a few months after they said that they wouldn't be increasing duty this year...

JoelP - 1/12/08 at 05:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

LINKY

It was announced at the same time as the VAT drop - to keep the prices the same, wouldn't want people to actually get any benefit from the drop.

Of course they will be taking it back off again when they put VAT back up again... *must keep straight face*

Just think of all the commercial users who claim back their vat (myself and at least one user above) who are now essentially paying more for their fuel. So much for helping small businesses.

This government have shown themselves to be a bunch of useless prats.

Why not just put VAT up to 20% and be done with it, accept that they have fooked up and need to gather more wonga to waste.

speedyxjs - 1/12/08 at 07:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Just think of all the commercial users who claim back their vat (myself and at least one user above) who are now essentially paying more for their fuel. So much for helping small businesses.

I didnt think about that

speedyxjs - 1/12/08 at 07:30 PM

Its amazing the number of people who want a hotter chick in flakmonkeys avatar

matt.c - 1/12/08 at 08:28 PM

Sorry flak i couldn't resist.

RoadkillUK - 1/12/08 at 10:27 PM

I was a bit miffed when I found out that car insurance isn't subject to VAT

On the subject ... mini rant on the way ...

My Locost insurance this year is £200.12, this is a self built 1.8l pocket rocket.

My Xantia insurance this year with 10 years NCB is ......... £414.27. This is a factory built (albeit French) car which is 8 years old and a 2.0l Diesel.

Thieving swines.

Pls, carry on.

Rob Bartley - 2/12/08 at 05:03 PM

Difference.....not a jot!

Had my garage door replaced today & the total price was same as original quote??? Even though the receipt had VAT at 15%.

02GF74 - 4/12/08 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris mason

and loads of retailers are just keeping there prices the same and pocketing the extra pennies.

it is a con. maplin prices are the same grrr......

and been thinking, all those shops that have items prce X pounds 99 p, will they be changing them to be X pounds and 96 p or whatever?? Can't see that happening.

have ebay lowered their fees? (I thought hose we subject to VAT)

grrrrr and brrrr ......