Board logo

Rotary seal for a variable gap?
David Jenkins - 22/1/09 at 08:28 PM

I have a "challenge" in my current project for the Locost.

I want to provide a seal between a stationary shaft and a rotating metal plate that fits over it. The plate will be rotating at up to a few hundred RPM.

The following crummy picture may or may not explain what I mean:

rotary seal
rotary seal

The difficulty is that I cannot guarantee that the hole in the plate will be concentric with the shaft all of the time - it may be 1mm +/- 0.2 mm - and the distance between the face of the shaft's thicker section and the place may also vary 2mm +/- 0.5mm.

I want the seal to keep out dust and dirt, and maybe the occasional bit of moisture - I wouldn't expect it to keep out significant water though.

The best suggestion I've had so far is a well-oiled leather or felt washer between the shaft face and the plate.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

madteg - 22/1/09 at 08:55 PM

[Edited on 22/1/09 by madteg]

David Jenkins - 22/1/09 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Oilite thrust washer

That wouldn't cope with the variable gap, would it?

madteg - 22/1/09 at 09:08 PM

What size gap min to max.

DIY Si - 22/1/09 at 09:25 PM

I'd probably go for a felt seal. That or a close fitting bush/washer and a spring behind it to allow for movement?

David Jenkins - 22/1/09 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madteg
What size gap min to max.

Uncertain! (I'm still at the planning stage)

paulf - 22/1/09 at 10:07 PM

I would use a V seal, it is a soft rubber seal that can seal on the face as well as shaft.
Paul.

David Jenkins - 22/1/09 at 10:16 PM

The V seal looks ideal - I've just done a bit of googling, and they seem very suitable...

Thanks!

Meeerrrk - 22/1/09 at 10:27 PM

2nd v-seals. also use at work t-seals. much of a muchness. they are your best bet.

to be honest, regardless of what you use, you should try to get it as concentric as you can (i know you already know this, just stressing the point). The better it is, the more likely it will seal 100%.

regards

MArk

02GF74 - 23/1/09 at 08:24 AM

3rded - seals.

just feed it lots of fish and tell it to keep hold flippers tightly together.

David Jenkins - 23/1/09 at 09:07 AM

^^^

I was cautious about the concentric bit - in almost every case it will be concentric give or take a thou - but I couldn't guarantee it. I will be trying hard to make it so, though!

I presume that I can get these seals from any decent bearing supplier - is that a reasonable assumption?

DarrenW - 23/1/09 at 11:49 AM

can you get a bearing to fit on the shaft then secure the plate to the OD of the bearing (i havent thought how yet). That way you will get the seal that the bearing comes with and something to help get the plate a bit more concentric.

I have a couple of bearings on my desk that you can have to play around with.

maybe the 1mm plate but can be a tightish fit on the OD of the bearing and secured with some JB weld etc.

carpmart - 23/1/09 at 12:16 PM

What about the type of seal used on wiper motor stems where the exit the bulkhead?

I think they would work pretty well for your application!

David Jenkins - 23/1/09 at 12:39 PM

I have a couple of bearings with seals - but the v-seals look like they will cover all the requirements.

All I have to worry about now is finding a supplier! Ipswich has 2 good bearing suppliers and another that's excellent for o-rings, hydraulic fittings, etc. (Pirtek) so I hope I'll be OK.