Board logo

Gas welding
davy - 15/4/09 at 11:36 PM

About ten years ago I purchased a unit that when you put a liquid inside (cant remember what it was ) the elements inside generated oxygen. I worked quite well in fact I brazed a whole floor panel into my sons 2cv. You strapped the propane onto the rear of the unit. The unit was about the size of a very small electric welder. I lent it to someone and never saw it again. Anyone out there every seen one of these animals and wonder can the still be bought. I remember that it was not very expensive. I got a bug infection in my heart and had to get a pacemaker fitted and was told to do anything that I liked but no arc or mig welding.Over here BOc has it all to them selves

James - 16/4/09 at 12:22 AM

Would a small oxy-acetaline be no use to you?

I got some really good results with that on my welding course. Did my sump with it for example which still isn't leaking after nearly 3 years.

Cheers,
James

r1_pete - 16/4/09 at 09:43 AM

BOC will rent you small oxy and acetylene bottles, I have mid sized ones which cost me about £150 pa, the rest of the kit is readily available.

I do remember what you refer to, was it the berzomatic solidox ??

[Edited on 16/4/09 by r1_pete]

iank - 16/4/09 at 10:50 AM

Never come across anything like that.

Acetylene is a hotter gas than propane which you'll need for welding/cutting.

A kit something like this one http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=369 would be a good starter (BOC do a similar kit called the Portapak). You'll need to rent the gas cylinders from one of the big suppliers.

BenB - 16/4/09 at 12:48 PM

What like this one?

http://wellyweld.com/products/Masterpak_Oxy-Propane_Cutting_Kit_7906.aspx

paulf - 16/4/09 at 01:08 PM

I remember the units your reffering to.They used Hydrogen peroxide and there was a catalyst that the peroxide was dripped onto to generate oxygen.I built an oxygen generator using the same principle and used it to braze with but was no good for proper welding without using acetylene.
Paul