Board logo

A serious what's it worth
smart51 - 5/5/09 at 06:19 PM

For those who don't know, me car is for sale (see Here on Locostbuilders and Here on Pistonheads) I've received a few casual enquires and one just wanting to talk CEC vs BEC.

At £7500 It is the cheapest BEC on piston heads, discounting the Qpod which isn't either a car or bike engined. Have I priced it right? Whilst I don't want to give it away, I do want it to sell.

I've chased up an email for more photos I got last week and he's asked for my lowest price for cash, so what is it worth.

Honest condition, It has a couple of marks on the cycle wings, is well used but loved and cared for. The engine uses a bit of oil but runs sweetly.

I know its worth what someone is willing to pay any worth to me what I won't let it go for but realistically, how low is stupid money and what is a reasonable price?

Cheers,

Colin

[Edited on 23-5-2009 by smart51]

daniel mason - 5/5/09 at 06:35 PM

i personally would not say yours is too dear and i would hang on until you get as near to your asking price as possible! unless you are desperate to sell that is.

smart51 - 5/5/09 at 06:42 PM

I'm not disparate, I just don't have any patience. Once I've decided something, it's got to happen straight away. A fairly quick sale is worth more to my sanity than the ultimate price to "just the right buyer". I just want to pitch it with the right balance between speed and a good sale.

richardh - 5/5/09 at 06:47 PM

same here, not letting it go unless i'm happy with price even if im now unemployed

roadrunner - 5/5/09 at 06:50 PM

If i where to sell mine i would want £6500 and nothing less, as yours is an MNR and better engine i feel it is the right price and i would'nt sell it for anything less than your asking price. It's a great car with a great engine. Nuff said.

flak monkey - 5/5/09 at 06:56 PM

It takes at least 3 weeks of advertising a car to get any enquiries. I know from bitter experience...

Dont lower your price in those first 21 days.

David

Wheels244 - 5/5/09 at 07:23 PM

Colin

I would say it was worth every penny of £7500 knowing what I spent on mine.

mr henderson - 5/5/09 at 07:25 PM

It really is silly the way people who haven't seen a vehicle will ask remotely what your lowest price is.

Basically you have already said a price. If that doesn't suit them then they must say a price. Why on earht would they think that a person who has advertised an item for £X will turn round and say £Y?

Different situation when a person has seen the item and is making an offer. If they then say £Z what they are in effect saying is that they will buy it now for £Z if you will accept that.

I suggest you say to anyone who emails asking for your 'best price' is that you will only entertain offers from people who have actually seen the car, and that they already have the starting price for any negotiations.

John

smart51 - 5/5/09 at 07:27 PM

Thanks guys. I thought that an asking price of £8000 was a good one so I put it up for £7500 for a quick sale. Now that I know that I've pitched it in the right place, I'm a bit happier.

mr henderson - 5/5/09 at 07:38 PM

I think your Pistonheads advert could do with revising. You've listed the features, but you haven't explained what the benefits are. You could build that advert up a lot, I'm sure you would attract more interest that way, and some from people who don't already know all about these cars.

John

l0rd - 5/5/09 at 09:29 PM

I believe that this price is right for it. As said, revise your description.

Remember the guy with the Red Rover. The Babe magnet.

smart51 - 5/5/09 at 09:31 PM

I've had a speculative email from Driven Image Ltd in Wetherby Yorkshire asking for a cash trade price for a quick sale. Anyone heard of them? Much of their stuff is in the £30-60k region with a lot of TVRs so I'm surprised they're interested in a kit. Sound a bit odd?

[Edited on 5-5-2009 by smart51]

DM - 20/5/09 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
It really is silly the way people who haven't seen a vehicle will ask remotely what your lowest price is.

Yep! I've had a couple of those - mine's also on pistonheads >here<

Certainly is hard trying to establish the right value - I've put mine up at £7250 which is a lot for a Cat E1 but its a Duratec on throttle bodies so I dont think you'll find one of those for much less.

I probably could have worded the ad better to appeal to a wider audience but am not in any hurry to sell... am still enjoying the car and will probably book some more trackdays for it soon