Board logo

KHM7 , a Saudi locost
hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 02:54 PM

i would like to show you what me and my two friends accomplished in the past 6 months . its a car with a nissan v6 engine under the bonnet . the styling is taken from the lotus seven ...

here are some pics of the actuall making of the car ( we made it in our house in Wadi aldawaser ) :

first the team , from the right ( muhammad , Hamad (me ) and Khalid )

the tools:

and many other

the engine ( 3 L , v6 )

blueprints for the chassis

tubes ( we used 4x4 , 2mm )

the very first tube

we drawed the the base of the chassis on this piece of wood to make shore we get it spot on .

the base of the car

the chassis ( flipped to weld the tubes from the other side )

the chassis upon complation

the scaffolding ( to protect your head )

the back of the chassis

two 3mm metal sheets under the passengers

the metal sheets from inside

the differential

the engine while chosing where exactly to mount it

the engine's mounts in place as well as the gear's mount

the seats

the chassis with the engine ...

from another angle

the car's Electrics ( we had to modify it , this literaly made us sweat to our knees )

the car's Electrics while putting them in place

the car's Electrics almost finished

the car's Electrics before wrapping it up

the battery

brake discs ....

part of the exhaust

testing the tail lights

the car's front grill and car paste

front glass

the dashboard

tail lights after installaing them

the filter's room ( this way the air gooing to the engine is cold )

the filter's room from the inside

painting some metal sheets ( for the body )

front lights

the seats

ا

a look at the car before painting it

the car after we finished it

we wanted the car to be much better then this but us being far away from the city and depending only on our college salary ( which is 850 Saudi Riyals btw ) , this is what we came up with ....

vids for the car here :

http://www.youtube.com/user/KHM7car

for any enquiries about the car

khm.7@hotmail.com

[Edited on 6/8/09 by hamad.alnawwar]

blakep82 - 6/8/09 at 02:57 PM

awesome! i had a look at this on the mig welding forum last night, you guys did a cracking job well done.

how do you go about getting it registered and legal over there?

Staple balls - 6/8/09 at 03:04 PM

I love it, nice work

big_wasa - 6/8/09 at 03:09 PM

well done.

A proper locost

hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
awesome! i had a look at this on the mig welding forum last night, you guys did a cracking job well done.

how do you go about getting it registered and legal over there?

will the problem is that they never heard of anything like building a car ,, so they don't have any laws stating what to do in order to register a scratch built car ,,

Agriv8 - 6/8/09 at 03:17 PM

does which is 850 Saudi Riyals equate to £250 GBP. ( locost builder Joke !!! )

fantastic Job chaps!!!!

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 6/8/09 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 6/8/09 by Agriv8]

Dick Axtell - 6/8/09 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hamad.alnawwar
will the problem is that they never heard of anything like building a car ,, so they don't have any laws stating what to do in order to register a scratch built car ,,

Aaah!! The unalloyed joy of not having to deal with a deeply retrenched beauraucracy!!

A truly scratch build; very impressive. Well done. And now for some questions (like what we get from our beaureaucrats...) :-

From,which vehicle did the engine, front suspension and rear axle come from? And did you shorten the sump, to give more ground clearance?

Dusty - 6/8/09 at 03:41 PM

For you guys to build your car so well on your budget is totally excellent. Looks great. I'm sure you had fun and pain doing it, learned loads and are having loads of fun driving it. Next project?

miikae - 6/8/09 at 03:43 PM

Nice job lads, you all have done very well.
Have you any longer driving vids

Mike

hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 03:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:

Aaah!! The unalloyed joy of not having to deal with a deeply retrenched beauraucracy!!

A truly scratch build; very impressive. Well done. And now for some questions (like what we get from our beaureaucrats...) :-

From,which vehicle did the engine, front suspension and rear axle come from? And did you shorten the sump, to give more ground clearance?

the engine and rear axle is from nissan cedric

the front suspension is from a GMC yukon

And did you shorten the sump, to give more ground clearance?

no but its ok

t.j. - 6/8/09 at 04:03 PM

6 months.....and with it the budget.
almost 6 years and mine is still not finished.

So you have beaten me there....

Welcome to locostbuilders. (and that isn't standing for low cost....).

hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 04:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
For you guys to build your car so well on your budget is totally excellent. Looks great. I'm sure you had fun and pain doing it, learned loads and are having loads of fun driving it. Next project?

haven't decided yet

quote:
Originally posted by miikae
Nice job lads, you all have done very well.
Have you any longer driving vids

Mike

yeah but their not with me ,, i'll try to get them for you

StevieB - 6/8/09 at 04:18 PM

Oh for a world where the next project could be a logical step forward using the lessons learned from the previous build without having to worry about all the beaurocracy and red tape (and changes to it all!).

02GF74 - 6/8/09 at 04:34 PM

excellent work. I daresay you have nice warm and dry weather to drive all year rounbd and not be worried about price of fuel (or gas as you may call it).

The tube for the chassis looked hooge to me - have you any means of weighing the car?

Next project the same but lighter?

Liam - 6/8/09 at 05:01 PM

Welcome to the site!

Nice to see from that latest video that you have finally fitted some proper arab style bling with those new wheels!

Liam

hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
excellent work. I daresay you have nice warm and dry weather to drive all year rounbd and not be worried about price of fuel (or gas as you may call it).

The tube for the chassis looked hooge to me - have you any means of weighing the car?

Next project the same but lighter?

we want to know how much the car weighs but we don't know how .. any suggestions ?

designer - 6/8/09 at 06:01 PM

I think the extended rear end is brilliant

Fozzie - 6/8/09 at 09:54 PM

Welcome to the site......

A very big well done to the three of you!

Fozzie

Liam - 6/8/09 at 10:23 PM

quote:

we want to know how much the car weighs but we don't know how .. any suggestions ?

Have you got any bathroom scales? You could weigh it a corner at a time with a set of those. Put one wheel on the scales with the other three on blocks of wood the same height as the scales so the car is level. Record weight. Repeat for other three corners. Add up weights.

Having said that, with the steel you used and the engine and donor parts, I'd estimate your car at possibly around 800kg, i.e. 200kg per corner. Basic bathroom scales over here certainly dont go up that high - I imagine the same situation in Saudi, unless you import stuff from the US . However, you could always use two sets of bathroom scales with a plank of wood over them to weigh each corner!

Or... how's about placing each wheel on a spring of a known rate and measuring how much the springs compresses? Sounds rather dangerous that one.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Liam

hamad.alnawwar - 6/8/09 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:

Have you got any bathroom scales? You could weigh it a corner at a time with a set of those. Put one wheel on the scales with the other three on blocks of wood the same height as the scales so the car is level. Record weight. Repeat for other three corners. Add up weights.

Having said that, with the steel you used and the engine and donor parts, I'd estimate your car at possibly around 800kg, i.e. 200kg per corner. Basic bathroom scales over here certainly dont go up that high - I imagine the same situation in Saudi, unless you import stuff from the US . However, you could always use two sets of bathroom scales with a plank of wood over them to weigh each corner!

Or... how's about placing each wheel on a spring of a known rate and measuring how much the springs compresses? Sounds rather dangerous that one.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Liam

thank u very much Laim ,, u've been the most supportive man on this forum for us

Jasper - 8/8/09 at 12:23 PM

Nice one chaps

lotusmadandy - 9/8/09 at 06:51 PM

Welcome to the site lads and well done with the build,it looks great.

Andy