Board logo

7 Style Locost V8... Who Makes the Most Appropriate Kit?
scootz - 10/9/09 at 08:50 PM

As the title suggests... which 7 type kit maker offers the strongest chassis with the widest engine bay?

Cheers!

mookaloid - 10/9/09 at 08:52 PM

The widest has to be the viento surely

prawnabie - 10/9/09 at 08:52 PM

Most of the v8's I have seen have been in a viento chassis.

StevieB - 10/9/09 at 09:02 PM

I'd have said Westfield - better looking and higher quality

austin man - 10/9/09 at 09:03 PM

dare I say Vindicator

cd.thomson - 10/9/09 at 09:07 PM

Dax Rush, definitely. Its basically their niche and they do it without looking oversized and chunky (or melted!) like some others

[Edited on 10/9/09 by cd.thomson]

big_wasa - 10/9/09 at 09:07 PM

Audi v8 per-chance

mookaloid - 10/9/09 at 09:13 PM

Quantum Xtreme?

scootz - 10/9/09 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Audi v8 per-chance

Could be!

I still have the RS4 engine and was wondering what to do with it. It's not finished yet, but too much has already gone into it just to sell at a ridiculously low price, so thinking... and still thinking!

Normally would be dead against sticking a big heavy lump in a 7-styled car as it goes against the whole Chapman philosophy, but I guess 400+ BHP and a light rear end would be a hoot (or terrifying!).

bi22le - 10/9/09 at 09:27 PM

The majority of V8 I see are in DAX. Just look at there for sale section to see how many there are running quite good power. Also people who do turbo Haybusa often use this chassis. Personally I dont like their styling and I prefer light engine, light car.

scootz - 10/9/09 at 09:52 PM

The Quantum Extreme chassis is a pretty different piece of kit - anyone have any real-world experience of them?

Steve Hignett - 10/9/09 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
The Quantum Extreme chassis is a pretty different piece of kit - anyone have any real-world experience of them?

Waas taken round Donnignton Park in a Zetec one - I nearly fell asleep, not sure whether that's a "for" or a "against"...

DanP - 10/9/09 at 10:44 PM

I've been contemplating an Audi v8 in my viento, I think the viento is probably your ownly chance of fitting an Audi V8 engine in a seven as they are a fair bit wider than the rover. You only have to look at photos of a rush or a seight to see how tight the engine installations are, I still have room to stand in my engine bay in at least 2 places!! I have got to the point of measuring up my engine bay and drawing it up in solidworks and drawing up the best estimate I can of an Audi v8 using some cutaway drawings etc and partial measurements. The engine looks like it should fit but I would want to confirm my engine model before going too far, you are welcome to my drawings if you can make use of them, perhaps even confirm some of my estimates??

However having built a viento (bought from old luego so can't comment on current kit quality) and found the kit and manual a little lacking in polish (I felt I had to make/fettle a few too many parts considering the cost relative to a seight) I would be inclined to properly measure up the competition to see if it could be done as you might find the build easier in the long run if all elements were taken into account.

Cheers
Dan

blakep82 - 11/9/09 at 12:07 AM

thought you'd stopped car building good to see you're still going on
you should have put it in that ultima really i think thats the best place for it

scootz - 11/9/09 at 08:12 AM

I have... I think... oh, I dunno!

Would prob go for factory build, or use some of the build services on here.

nick205 - 11/9/09 at 09:00 AM

As per Pinto's recent thread, IMHO a V8 doesn't belong in a 7 style car. If you have to put one in (and we know you have that nice RS4 lump sat there) it would have to be Dax Rush for me.

scootz - 11/9/09 at 09:54 AM

Would normally agree 110%, but to be fair to the Audi V8... 165kg is hardly a boat-anchor!

swanny - 11/9/09 at 10:47 AM

my choice was a vindicator. slightly off looks, but a really nice wide engine bay, and enough room for a rover sd1 rad in the nose if you want. very wide tunnel too, so it will take the rover 5 speed manual box a long way back, moving much miore weight into the centre of the car. fuel tank also infront of rear axle rather than on top/behind, so moving more weight to middle.

not that i need much more weight in the middle with me driving!

theres about 8 inches between chassis rails and engine on either side to access is a doddle.

paul Rescued attachment engine compressed.JPG
Rescued attachment engine compressed.JPG

DavidM - 11/9/09 at 12:25 PM

Tornado Raptor would be my first choice. Great proportions, but not cheap.

http://www.tornadosportscars.com/Raptor/Raptor.html

David