Board logo

Haynes Car Builders Manual - is it any good?
JekRankin - 21/10/09 at 01:20 PM

Just about to start my build and was thinking of ordering a copy of the Haynes Car Builders Manual, is it any good?

Cheers,

Jek

liam.mccaffrey - 21/10/09 at 01:22 PM

if its the one im thinking of with the red/maroon cover then no, there are better books.

Do you have Ghris G's haynes roadster book or the Ron Champion book?

Between thos books and this site (and the roadster site and forum) there really is nothing else you need!

JekRankin - 21/10/09 at 01:54 PM

Yeah that's the one I was meaning.

I've not got the Chris G or Ron Champion books, but not sure if they'd be so relevant to my Fury build.

I'd be more interested in a book explaining general techniques/hints and tips on the assembly of a kit car - just simple things really like trimming panels, running brake lines etc.

I know its all on here but sometimes its just nice to have a book handy! :-)

mookaloid - 21/10/09 at 02:08 PM

order it from your local library before buying. then you can decide if it is good value or not.

JekRankin - 21/10/09 at 02:35 PM

Might pay the library a visit tomorrow.

Are there any shops which stock a decent selection of automotive books? I'm also after a book on auto wiring/electrics - I had a look in Borders and Waterstones last week and was quite dissapointed with the selection on the shelves.

paul the 6th - 21/10/09 at 02:47 PM

it's interesting for bedtime reading but is very much "a brake caliper works by sliding a piston against the brake pads whenever you push the brake pedal" and "you can use rivets, or bonding for your bodywork"... gives alot of very general information all aspects of building a car but nothing mega specific.

Could be good if like me, you've never done any of it before... but for more advanced people I reckon chris g's or ron champions book would give more 7-esque type advice

designer - 21/10/09 at 03:00 PM

Try the BOOK DEPOSITORY for books. Cheaper than anybody else and free postage; even to France

David Jenkins - 21/10/09 at 03:32 PM

That book does have one good feature - the chapter on how to organise your wiring. A lot of common sense that is useful for anyone with a reasonable brain.

I agree that a visit to the library is the best bet, though.

londonsean69 - 21/10/09 at 05:50 PM

I have a copy that you are welcome to.

Only read once, then put on shelf

I personally think it's crap, so you can have it for nowt

PM me your address and I'll get it posted, although the lazy oiks are on strike, so you might get it for Christmas

Sean

RK - 22/10/09 at 06:16 AM

the wiring section is pretty good, though. Breaks things down, which is what you have to do. I'm pretty good at that sort of thing though, so although I read it several times, I can't say I learned anything. He said, trying to keep a straight face.